Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
This is a pet hate of mine.
Since the introduction of HDR mode way back when, while using the Apple Camera app you can't keep HDR mode set to 'ON' permanently if you wish to. It goes off when you shut the camera off or go back to the lock screen.
This is very annoying as you manually have to switch it on if you want to use it.

Do you think Apple might implement this at some point in the future - seems so easy right?

Reactions: iammrdom and !!!

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
you sure about that? i did it just now (on iphone 6s / ios 10.0.2):
camera --> HDR 'On'
went to homescreen and then opened camera again -- HDR still on.
multitask --> close camera --> opened camera again -- HDR still on.
multitask --> close camera --> lock screen --> open camera from lock screen -- HDR still on.
multitask --> close camera --> lock screen --> unlock phone --> turn on camera -- HDR still on.

Last edited:

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
Yes I agree it doesn't happen all the time as per your example above but there does not seem to be a consistency to it.
If you switch it on and you want it to stay on until you choose otherwise you don't seem to be able to - at some point it reverts back to 'off'.

Reactions: goshya

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
Yes I agree it doesn't happen all the time as per your example above but there does not seem to be a consistency to it.
If you switch it on and you want it to stay on until you choose otherwise you don't seem to be able to - at some point it reverts back to 'off'.
ah, gotcha. after stepping away from the phone for awhile and checking back again i do see it went from 'On' to 'Auto' by itself

phobos512

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
USA
Personally I feel like if you select in the Camera settings the option to save the original non HDR image it should always just take an HDR image by default. I think it's silly to have to turn it on. Just like now with the new RAW setting. The camera API supports RAW but I have to use some app to access it? WTF is that about?

Reactions: AndyDiamond

goshya

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Super annoying. Any workaround yet?

It always takes me four steps to take a photo these days.

1. Open the app
2. Click on HDR
3. Choose on
4. Take a photo

I seem to remember that previous iOS versions remembered camera settings.

phobos512

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
USA
Nope, no permanent enable. And the new remember camera settings toggle doesn't remember HDR settings. Just camera mode (Front back panorama video etc.).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As far as I can tell, my last used HDR setting seems to remain until I change it at some point (if I ever do).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.