Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LMT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Oldham, Lancashire
Hi all, be gentle with me on my first post, i'm currently looking at buying into some HDR software and would like some feedback from you guys on if i should go with photomatix plug in for Aperture or the full blown version and is there any key functions i would regret not having if i went with the plug-in ? Thanks

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
No need to pay for anything!

The best HDR software I've found is the free QTPFSGUI. It has tons of algorithms to choose from and it just outstanding overall.

The only problem is that it requires .hdr files as input; it cannot build the .hdr file out of multiple JPEGs or whatever. However, luckily the free trial of Photomatix Pro can! The trial is free and is limited because any pictures generated using Photomatix tonemapping have a watermark, but it CAN save full non-watermarked .hdr files for processing in QTPFSGUI

Good luck!

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
The best HDR software I've found is the free QTPFSGUI. It has tons of algorithms to choose from and it just outstanding overall.

That's awesome! I was having a look around the sourceforge site and i was wondering, is this only a windows program? I couldnt find anything stating whether it was mac/win, but from the screens provided on the site you can see its running in windows.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Topaz

Not true HDR, but Topaz Adjust and Topaz detail will give you some very HDR like images. They plugin directly to Aperture thru Topaz Fusion (free) as well as P.S. Free unlimited 30 day trail will let you get a feel for the programs. Learning curve is quick. Even if you do HDR, you could still use Topaz for added effect. There is a great bundle price for several of the programs. Just a thought...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.