Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Unfortunately, the iPhone budget is eating into the MacPro budget, which is eating into the ACD budget, which is eating into the gas/food/life budget, which, sadly, has dried up the CS3 budget. :rolleyes: :eek: :(

That being said, I am eager to try out some HDR photography, and am wondering if there is any free or nearly free software, (and/or aperture plugin!) out there that can do it instead...

Help?

vandi

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
Atlanta
Unfortunately, the iPhone budget is eating into the MacPro budget, which is eating into the ACD budget, which is eating into the gas/food/life budget, which, sadly, has dried up the CS3 budget.

isn't that the truth?!!:eek:
i want to get Photomatix too, but...you know, back to the whole budgets getting into other budgets thing.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Okay, so if got my HDR workflow going... I am using photomatix to generate the HDR files (it does a great job of ghost reduction and alignment) and then use the open source qtpfsgui (nice name, eh? :rolleyes: ) for tone mapping. It's not at intuitive as Photomatix, but, then again, it's free and doesn't watermark the image with "DEMO" ;) :)

itsallinurhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2007
Southern California
Okay, so if got my HDR workflow going... I am using photomatix to generate the HDR files (it does a great job of ghost reduction and alignment) and then use the open source qtpfsgui (nice name, eh? :rolleyes: ) for tone mapping. It's not at intuitive as Photomatix, but, then again, it's free and doesn't watermark the image with "DEMO" ;) :)

Good idea. The tone-mapping in photomatix, however, is superb.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Here is a quick sample. The headlights made for good contrast on the trial run... worked out okay, I think.

Attachments

• 1 - Version 2.jpg
    1 - Version 2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 478

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Yeah, I agree. As we've already established, though, qtpfsgi isn't exactly the best tone mapper... I'll try to figure it out though. :)

Once you figure it out, it's somewhat more flexible than photomatix due to its multiple tone mapping operators. Then again, most people only find the Fattal effect pleasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.