Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JediStarWars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Hi there! I have a 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 MBP (15", 2016) and I use a HooToo Hub so I can connect multiple external hard drives.

For some reason, my external hard drives occasionally eject randomly with the "Disk Not Ejected Properly" warning.

I'm obviously concerned about damaging my external HDs.

All my external hard drives are self-powered through USB. Maybe this part of the problem/equation too.

This has been going on for the past 3 x OS, including the current OS Big Sur.

I have never ever had this issue with hard drives when connected to an iMac - just when connected to my MBP(s).

What is ultimately causing this?

Is it an Apple OS issue, the hub I'm using, or the fact that the USB external HDs I'm using are all powered by USB?

Bottom line - if it's the hub and someone out there can recommend to me a reliable hub that won't randomly eject my external hard drives unsafely, I would love to hear everyone's recommendations. If it's the fact that powered hard drives are more reliable, please let me know and I will go down that route of having multiple, powered external HDs. My buying preferences are:

- $50 or under budget for a new, reliable hub (but I will go above this if reliability can be "guaranteed")
- Minimum of 3 x USB connections, but preferably 4
- SD/MicroSD slots would be a nice to have
- Anything else would be a bonus

Hope someone can help with recommendations or solutions/advice why the HDs are ejecting unexpectedly. Thanks in advance! 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.