Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
HDTVTest reviewed the iPhone 11 Pro Max which is a first since they focus on detailed reviews for TVs. They do a detailed video on the iPhone's performance which 'spoiler alert' is quite excellent even compared to a C9 OLED and these guys review/calibrate top end OLEDs for a living.

Anyway video is below but essentially for HDR viewing you need to;

1. turn off true tone
2. crank brightness up all the way
3. accessibility>display & text size>turn off auto brightness at the bottom of the page

I don't own a iPhone 11 so I am curious if anyone could report back on how the HDR looks on content that supports this? Also how feasible is it to watch movies on the regular with the iPhone? Basically you would need to have a way to prop up the phone around 8inches or so from your face if you wanted to have a decent field of view from my calculations. Not sure how feasible this actually is in real life heh.

Reactions: Tsepz and HEK

Zimmy68

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
I loved this video, I just wished he would give some reviews from actual content that he watched.
He says the HDR is very good but he just shows a bunch of data.

Reactions: fathergll

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
I loved this video, I just wished he would give some reviews from actual content that he watched.
He says the HDR is very good but he just shows a bunch of data.

It was kind of odd he didn't show any content. Usually he does but it seems he did this off the cuff and probably wasn't expecting as much good feedback as he got.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Why can't Apple implement full brightness automatically when HDR content is playing as TV's and Android phones already do?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
HDTVTest reviewed the iPhone 11 Pro Max which is a first since they focus on detailed reviews for TVs. They do a detailed video on the iPhone's performance which 'spoiler alert' is quite excellent even compared to a C9 OLED and these guys review/calibrate top end OLEDs for a living.

Anyway video is below but essentially for HDR viewing you need to;

1. turn off true tone
2. crank brightness up all the way
3. accessibility>display & text size>turn off auto brightness at the bottom of the page

I don't own a iPhone 11 so I am curious if anyone could report back on how the HDR looks on content that supports this? Also how feasible is it to watch movies on the regular with the iPhone? Basically you would need to have a way to prop up the phone around 8inches or so from your face if you wanted to have a decent field of view from my calculations. Not sure how feasible this actually is in real life heh.

This is great but honestly I cannot watch more than a few minutes of YouTube on my XS Max, due to display size and notch, although I do every now and then watch some series when flying and too lazy to use my iPad, but majority of the time I pull out my iPad anyway, the larger display is worth it.

Reactions: fathergll
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.