Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyboard89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2021
Hello,

I have a Mac Mini M1 in base configuration. Now I encountered the following issue: If I connect a headphone (Sony MDREX450APH for example) and I play a sound, for example a Youtube video, I can hear a crackling or popping sound when the video starts. This also happens when I jump on the timeline of the video. During playback everything is fine.

I then installed the app Noizio to play background sounds at volume zero to keep the soundcard busy. If I do that, this problem does not occur. Also, If I use the USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter it works flawlessly.

Does this happen to anybody else too or is just my Mac Mini headphone port faulty?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Hello,

I have a Mac Mini M1 in base configuration. Now I encountered the following issue: If I connect a headphone (Sony MDREX450APH for example) and I play a sound, for example a Youtube video, I can hear a crackling or popping sound when the video starts. This also happens when I jump on the timeline of the video. During playback everything is fine.

I then installed the app Noizio to play background sounds at volume zero to keep the soundcard busy. If I do that, this problem does not occur. Also, If I use the USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter it works flawlessly.

Does this happen to anybody else too or is just my Mac Mini headphone port faulty?
I know that the 3.5mm plugs differ in dimensions and sometimes it does crackle.
I use a set of Klipsch subwoofer 3 speaker system on my M1 Mini and don't like the noises from using the 3.5mm port.

So now I use a USB DAC to avoid the analog 3.5mm port.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
mine only crackle if the 3.5mm jack is not properly inserted.
my bose powered headphones will periodically also pop if the battery starts to run low

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.