Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
Hey All,
I’ve recently been lucky enough to get the Apple Watch 6 to go with my iPhone 12 Pro.
I want to make sure I get the best out of my watch in regards to the health app.
I can do the EGC, Blood Oxygen, Heart rate as normal but I want to know whether there’s anything else that I can track health wise.
Also I track my movements etc via the 3 rings.
I want to make sure I make the most of it so I wanted to know whether there’s any articles or any suggestions to make sure you are making the most out it and whether the health app is setup correctly so the info is being tracked correctly.
Any suggestions?

thanks

OverTheHill

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2021
Hey All,
I’ve recently been lucky enough to get the Apple Watch 6 to go with my iPhone 12 Pro.
I want to make sure I get the best out of my watch in regards to the health app.
I can do the EGC, Blood Oxygen, Heart rate as normal but I want to know whether there’s anything else that I can track health wise.
I want to make sure I make the most of it so I wanted to know whether there’s any articles or any suggestions to make sure you are making the most out it and whether the health app is setup correctly so the info is being tracked correctly.
Any suggestions?

thanks
Heart rate variability. Greater the variability, the better you are overall physically and mentally.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Hey All,
Any suggestions?

thanks
Do the calibration as requested. If things get off, your can reset it in Privacy.

Reactions: barbu

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
New to Apple Watch and started using the health app. In tracking exercise I have set 3 goals and my question is on days of rest do people take out their goals for that day or just leave them set?

bricktop_at

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2017
New to Apple Watch and started using the health app. In tracking exercise I have set 3 goals and my question is on days of rest do people take out their goals for that day or just leave them set?
I leave them as they are, but IMHO Apple should find a way to deal with rest days properly.
I usually do some light training on my „rest“ days though, so the rings get closed anyway

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I leave them as they are, but IMHO Apple should find a way to deal with rest days properly.
I usually do some light training on my „rest“ days though, so the rings get closed anyway
Thanks, yea that's probably what I'll do too! Yes, seems like they'd just do a rest day check box.

JBinPDX

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
Thanks, yea that's probably what I'll do too! Yes, seems like they'd just do a rest day check box.
So agree with this! Apparently "rest days" are not something Apple has ever heard of.

I took a slightly different approach. Rather than letting Apple keep pushing me to increase my daily ring goals, I set each ring for what I consider the minimum I want to accomplish, even if it's a rest day. I keep the goals as they are and ignore suggestions to increase them. It means that on non-rest days I really kill those rings. But I'm amused by watching the rings circle madly when I open the app.

Reactions: GlenK

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
There used to be a way to disable the weekly nag to increase your move goal but it escapes me at the moment. I think it entailed disabling 'Daily Coaching' in the Health app on iPhone. Of course, that also disables the encouragements when you actually want to complete the goals later on, and I think it also kills the alerts for special challenges but I gave up on those since they vanish a few weeks after you earn them. All of my 'special' awards are completely gone. I think they're just meant to stay long enough to screenshot or share them but that's it which made me upset.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think it also kills the alerts for special challenges but I gave up on those since they vanish a few weeks after you earn them. All of my 'special' awards are completely gone. I think they're just meant to stay long enough to screenshot or share them
That's odd. I can see my special awards, all the way back to the very first one in 2016. Did you try scrolling down?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Nope, the entire category is gone. I can still earn them, but they always vanish eventually. Usually a few weeks or a month later.

'Standard' awards stick, such as 'perfect week' and so on, but the special ones such as the Earth Day Award (most recently earned and now gone as well) and Heart Month an such just go away eventually. The entire category is completely missing on my iPhone and Apple Watch 5. they don't 'sync eventually' as I've been told they just go forever. I've reset and such many times but they never came back. I just stopped trying to earn them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.