Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
When I get my new iPhone Xs, I was considering setting it up as a new iPhone rather than restoring from a backup of my existing phone. Most of the data that I care about is stored in the "cloud", and I worry that there is a lot of "cruft" built up on my phone that I would like to leave behind.

One thing that I am worried about losing is health data. I know that health data is supposed to be backed up to iCloud (I have the setting enabled), so it should sync to the new phone, but I tried this once soon after the feature was released (with an older iPhone I wasn't using any more) and a lot of my data did not seem to transfer.

Has anyone tried this recently?

I especially care that all of my workout history is preserved.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
1. You can make sure iCloud Health is synced. When you erase iPhone and reset it will trigger a manual upload to make sure all date is up to date in iCloud before it will rest.
2. Use iTunes encrypted backup which will backup all your private data like accounts, health etc
3. In the Health app, top right to access your account setting, and hit "Export Health Date" and upload it to the Cloud like Dropbox etc.

More info and steps here: https://www.imore.com/how-save-and-back-your-health-data-apple-watch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.