Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evox75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
I check my memory and I’m down to 4-5% remaining. iPhone X 256 gets hot while using it and not plugged in. Battery drains very fast. What steps should I take to figure out the issue? Thanks so much for any help provided in advance.

Adam.Kb2Jpd

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2018
I check my memory and I’m down to 4-5% remaining. iPhone X 256 gets hot while using it and not plugged in. Battery drains very fast. What steps should I take to figure out the issue? Thanks so much for any help provided in advance.

Most Mac OS aren't designed with low memory in design. If your device is hot then it is trying to do stuff awhile trying to deal with your low memory situation.

What to do?

Backup all your info.

Delete anything that you don't need to use. Make space so the device isn't trying to thrash and waste energy finding scattered memory fragments.

Your phone will need to be reset and restored with a fresh copy of iOS then replace your data and then see how it's behavior is doing.

Following.

Evox75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
Most Mac OS aren't designed with low memory in design. If your device is hot then it is trying to do stuff awhile trying to deal with your low memory situation.

What to do?

Backup all your info.

Delete anything that you don't need to use. Make space so the device isn't trying to thrash and waste energy finding scattered memory fragments.

Your phone will need to be reset and restored with a fresh copy of iOS then replace your data and then see how it's behavior is doing.

Following.
Sounds like good advice. Am I able to maintain my current os when I restore the phone?

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
No but you can restore your iPhone to what can be accepted as factory.

If you wish to downgrade it to 11.x.x then do so.

This is incorrect. If you simply restore NOT update & restore you can keep your iOS version at whatever is currently installed on your phone. You simply need to put your phone into recovery before plugging it into itunes.

Adam.Kb2Jpd

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2018
This is incorrect. If you simply restore NOT update & restore you can keep your iOS version at whatever is currently installed on your phone. You simply need to put your phone into recovery before plugging it into itunes.

Hope you haven't updated to the newest ITUNES, you will find that with the newest iTunes for that not to work anymore. You are forced to update and then restore.

Forces you to upgrade involuntarily.

Evox75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018

Do I need a copy of 11.1.2 before I use the restore option?
[doublepost=1523555953][/doublepost]
Hope you haven't updated to the newest ITUNES, you will find that with the newest iTunes for that not to work anymore. You are forced to update and then restore.

Forces you to upgrade involuntarily.

Do you know what the last version of iTunes is that allows me to restore only?
[doublepost=1523556045][/doublepost]
why are you posting this in jailbreaks? is it something specifically to do with jailbreaking? look at your battery stats to see what's draining it.

I thought it might be jailbreak related and though this was the correct spot to request help. Sincere apologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.