Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trailrunner44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
Hello all !!

I have a mid 2012 15" Retina Display (256gb, 8gb RAM, 2,3ghz i7, Nvidia Graphic Card) running High Sierra. I'm a part-time photographer and videographer. I use Lightroom, Final Cut Pro and Premiere CC. The MBP runs all everyday tasks quite good and hasn't any major problems until I start editing of course, then it gets laggy and well it's nerve-racking sometimes.

Oh, my battery is practically dead, it says: Replace NOW. I've been thinking of buying a new battery and replacing it, it's just about 100-200$.

My question is, should I replace the battery + factory reset it (in hopes it gets faster) or should I buy a new one? Should I upgrade to a 2015 Modell (I've heard it's one of the best MPBs) or all the way 2018 Modell or just wait and see if it survives another year and see what the 2019 MBP will be like?

Of course buying a MBP is expensive, splashing 2500+ for a Work Laptop is something I can do but what do you think? Should I try to wait it out for 2019 and then see if I buy the 2019 version or 2018 at discount prices or should I just take the plunge? Thank you all for your time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since the 2018 model is out and you're dealing with a laggy computer, I'd opt for the 2018 machine, if it were me.

Reactions: 88Keys

Mr Screech

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2018
Wait.

The keyboard problems will be more nerf wrecking while editing.
Replace the battery.

Turn on cuda in your premiere projects, in case you hadn't.
Get an external 2.5" usb 3.0 enclosure and a ssd-drive.
It might perform faster for projects than the internal ssd.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It’s six years old and you have got your money’s worth out of it. The latest MacBook Pro is on its third iteration of this design has new hex core processors and a decent dGPU for the apps you use FCPx will be particularly good on new hardware. Seems like a good time to go for a new one to me.

Reactions: 88Keys
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.