Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heydonz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Hi All,
As a graphic designer, I've been interested in photography for years. I've finally gotten more serious about it as of late. While out for a visit to my hometown on the east end of Long Island, I captured some interesting beach scenes with my olympus digital camera. After I have gifted a few, I have been approached by friends of friends to purchase copies of those and asking if I have others.

My questions...

What do I charge for something like that?
The few that I gave as gifts were 5" x 7" black & whites that I put in some nice contemporary black frames, matted that I had purchased in Kohl's! I'd like to frame up some of the others in 8 x 10's or larger.

Second question...
I think its time that I purchase a digital SLR but really have no idea where to begin. With my graphic design I know I'll get alot of use out of it but I also don't want to have to read a manual for two weeks to learn how to use it! Budget...starting out I'd have to stay well under $1000 bucks.

Can I make a living at this??? My creative juices are flowing!

Thanks so much for your advice in advance. Any other tidbits are greatly appreciated! :)

Donz

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Hi All,
As a graphic designer, I've been interested in photography for years. I've finally gotten more serious about it as of late. While out for a visit to my hometown on the east end of Long Island, I captured some interesting beach scenes with my olympus digital camera. After I have gifted a few, I have been approached by friends of friends to purchase copies of those and asking if I have others.

My questions...

The few that I gave as gifts were 5" x 7" black & whites that I put in some nice contemporary black frames, matted that I had purchased in Kohl's! I'd like to frame up some of the others in 8 x 10's or larger.

Second question...
I think its time that I purchase a digital SLR but really have no idea where to begin. With my graphic design I know I'll get alot of use out of it but I also don't want to have to read a manual for two weeks to learn how to use it! Budget...starting out I'd have to stay well under $1000 bucks.

Thanks so much for your advice in advance. Any other tidbits are greatly appreciated! :)

Donz

As far as a starter DSLR is concerned, I'd say that the standard answer is in order. "The way to go is what ever feels right in the hand out of the following":

Nikon D40 or D40x
Canon XTi or XT if you can find it
Sony Alpha A100
Pentax K100D, K100D super, or K200D
Olympus E-410 or E-510

Those all should get you started at under $1000, but extra lenses will get you there fast so consider buying body only and getting one or two modestly priced (perhaps even used) lenses that you know you'll get a lot of mileage out of. Maybe that will include the standard kit lens, maybe not, just weigh it out before you start.

SLC

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi All,

My questions...

Second question...

Donz

A common rate for signed, matted, unframed prints is a $1 per square inch. Add more to cover the frame. There are all kinds of thoughts abut where and how to sign a print. On the mat, on the image on the back, pen, pencil,.... The argument has been going on 50 years and is not likely to resolve.

If you can use a P&S camera you can use and SLR. Don't worry about having to rad a lot. All of them have a "green" setting for "full auto". However reading later will allow you to get more from the camera

Everyone will recommend either a Nikon or Canon. Yes there are others but when you pick a brand you are pretty much commited to that brand "forever" because the next lens you buy will have to be for that brand and then you some day replace the SLR body and want to keep you lenses. So choose the brand you like then pick an SLR body and lens to match your $1K budget. Your budget is big enough that you should have no trouble.

One thing to remember with an SLR you are buyig a lens and a body that together make up a "system". Choose each part of the system independently. also do remember that lenses make images. All the SLR body does is record the image.

If you have taken art clases you are far, far ahead of your average beginner photographer because yo know abot how distance effects perspective and about composition and color. Think about subjects you want to shoot and distance when choosing a lens or lenses. After you pick a lens or two then buy whatever body uses up the rest of your budget. With $1K you have quite a few options. Avoid the $900 body with $100 lens scenario. Look for "balance"

Avoid the tempation to choose a DSLR body first. Almost every beginner makes that mistake. Think "system"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.