Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fistmysquidward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
I received a brand new 13" macbook pro retina with 2.6 GHz intel core i5 and 16gb of memory and 251gb of flash storage as a graduation present
and here's the problem, my college is requiring that I purchase a macbook from their program. I've only had this mac for a month and I'm kind of freaking out about how my family is going to afford another 2,000 dollar computer
I think my only option may be to sell it but I have no idea what I'm doing or how I should sell it
I still have the original packaging and such any advice on this?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your MBPro should be completely within the specs of what the department may need, so - Have you asked the college how you can use yours, instead of the the one they offer? (Tell them you already purchased a new MBPro!)
The college MAY have a better price, or may require a 15-inch, instead of your 13-inch. If it's the screen size that prevents using yours, then you apparently won't get the choice.
But, still worth asking the college before you sell the one that you already have.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sounds a restrictive and potentially corrupt practice on the face of it - I'd assume the driver is the college get a kick-back in the form of cash or kind or have to meet a minimum sales number through the program to achieve a certain price - but as in theory that beneficial price should only affect students it shouldn't be something they can insist upon.

If however the college is using that rule to achieve a wholesale price and then they charge the students and pocket the difference then that is really bad.

They should be able to specify minimum requirements such that it can enable you to complete and contribute to the course as required but having to purchase when you have an acceptable machine already isn't good for anyone.

Was this rule called out in terms and conditions that you were aware of when you applied and they accepted you?

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
It sounds like you've been given the wrong information and you should call them and ask.

I received a brand new 13" macbook pro retina with 2.6 GHz intel core i5 and 16gb of memory and 251gb of flash storage as a graduation present
and here's the problem, my college is requiring that I purchase a macbook from their program. I've only had this mac for a month and I'm kind of freaking out about how my family is going to afford another 2,000 dollar computer
I think my only option may be to sell it but I have no idea what I'm doing or how I should sell it
I still have the original packaging and such any advice on this?

fistmysquidward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
During the regular school year all they have up in regards of their laptop requirements is a 13" macbook pro
They didn't actually state these things until after I had graduated and been given my laptop and my laptop meets the all the minimum requirements except for the flash storage
although in their email about it they said that not only would I have to apply for a waiver and have my laptop reviewed, but that my laptop would only be good for their requirements for a year and then by that point I would have no choice but to purchase from the school

Sounds a restrictive and potentially corrupt practice on the face of it - I'd assume the driver is the college get a kick-back in the form of cash or kind or have to meet a minimum sales number through the program to achieve a certain price - but as in theory that beneficial price should only affect students it shouldn't be something they can insist upon.

If however the college is using that rule to achieve a wholesale price and then they charge the students and pocket the difference then that is really bad.

They should be able to specify minimum requirements such that it can enable you to complete and contribute to the course as required but having to purchase when you have an acceptable machine already isn't good for anyone.

Was this rule called out in terms and conditions that you were aware of when you applied and they accepted you?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
although in their email about it they said that not only would I have to apply for a waiver and have my laptop reviewed, but that my laptop would only be good for their requirements for a year and then by that point I would have no choice but to purchase from the school

Wow thats a pretty desperate comment - what is the MBP they supply and how is the spec different to your?

Apply for the waiver and tell them it is your call - I'd be amazed if it can't do what the course needs after a year - and there may well be other ways of mitigating it if it comes anything close to being an issue.

fistmysquidward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
The macbook that they want me to purchase has slightly better things to it but it's really not that different other than it will come with all this extra stuff I will never use (such as a macbook sleeve)
Before I can fill out a waiver I have to purchase a 3 year apple care protection plan but I plan to call the school tomorrow and try to sort this out
I honestly think that this whole thing is completely stupid, the entire school is equipped with macs and I don't understand why something like 15 inch computer next to a 13 inch makes a difference and I don't think I'll be the only kid in this situation

Wow thats a pretty desperate comment - what is the MBP they supply and how is the spec different to your?

Apply for the waiver and tell them it is your call - I'd be amazed if it can't do what the course needs after a year - and there may well be other ways of mitigating it if it comes anything close to being an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.