Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I've been asked to shoot an event where the head of my company is going to be giving a 20 minute lecture. They're expecting great results since I've done some good shots for the company events previously. BUT, this is very different, it's in a Lecture hall, and I'll be up close with the CEO of the company. And I think I'm getting very nervous about this. Any advice? How do you make a lecture hall look good? How do I make myself invisible to the crowd while still getting good angles??

help, please!!

Dfndr90

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
I've been asked to shoot an event where the head of my company is going to be giving a 20 minute lecture. They're expecting great results since I've done some good shots for the company events previously. BUT, this is very different, it's in a Lecture hall, and I'll be up close with the CEO of the company. And I think I'm getting very nervous about this. Any advice? How do you make a lecture hall look good? How do I make myself invisible to the crowd while still getting good angles??

help, please!!

Shoot with the lowest f stop you can to shrink the depth of field and put the focus on the head of your company.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Shooting with a D70s, should I bring my 18-70 for flexibility, or stick with my 35mm (can go down to f2)? The 18-70 can give me a wider angle, but the 35mm is real nice for dof. They know I'll be shooting this, so I can be at the front row. And should I just work the ambient lights? or bring along the SB-600 for possible strobing fun?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'd have the flash along, just in case the lighting is bad. A lot of the events I've photographed at work have been in rooms with a lot of windows and outside bright light - but inside it's fairly dark, and without a flash you can't get a good photo of the speaker.

With the D70s another option is to just use the pop-up flash for filling in the light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.