Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgSar4iv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I'm new here I'm not sure if I should post here but i don't know where should I ask for help.
Im going to by used MacBook Pro mid 2012 i7, 2.9, 4000, 8gb ram ,500gb, (it was bought at 2014/06, it has 308 cycles). Price: 979$ / 860€
It's a good deal ?

Thanks for opinions

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
It seems a bit high - but maybe it depends on where you're located (Europe?).

In the US it would be worth about $600, IMHO.

I just bought a 2011 i7 2.8 for about $450.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Depends on your specific needs in a laptop. If you don't need an i7 or discrete graphics then a new MacBook Air may be a far better choice. What are your going to use it for?

jgSar4iv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Depends on your specific needs in a laptop. If you don't need an i7 or discrete graphics then a new MacBook Air may be a far better choice. What are your going to use it for?
Well I'm studying Computer Engineer, so programming C, Java, python, sql
Using matlab, office , blender.. It's kinda a high usage all days .

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The cycles is a bit much....imo
Thanks for ur reply .

But about the price ? What do u think ?
I thought 308 cycles in almost two years was not much ..
It seems a bit high - but maybe it depends on where you're located (Europe?).

In the US it would be worth about $600, IMHO.

I just bought a 2011 i7 2.8 for about $450.
The cycles are absolutely meaningless.
[doublepost=1459589723][/doublepost]
Well I'm studying Computer Engineer, so programming C, Java, python, sql
Using matlab, office , blender.. It's kinda a high usage all days .
I'd recommend a macbook air.

Even the base configuration will suit your needs just fine.

jgSar4iv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
[doublepost=1459589723][/doublepost]I'd recommend a macbook air.

Which version are u talking about?

jgSar4iv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Ah well, the thing is i dont want to buy a new one, im in Portugal, i dont see many people selling their mac's, it was worth bought from another country ?
[doublepost=1459598583][/doublepost]
2013 - 2016
Ah well, the thing is i dont want to buy a new one, im in Portugal, i dont see many people selling their mac's, it was worth bought from another country ?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I wouldn't.

I just can't do the macbook air screen. Its viewing angle is horrible (TN instead of IPS) and retina is so much nicer for reading text on.

He's looking at a 2012 Macbook Pro.....which has the same "horrible" TN panel with a slightly worse res then the Air..... TN panels aren't "horrible" if they are good ones and the Airs is a good TN panel. For the price of $900-$1000 the TN panel isn't bad....I went up and got a Macbook Pro because I rather have the IPS panel but I would of gotten the Air if that's all I could afford.....

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
[doublepost=1459589723][/doublepost]I'd recommend a macbook air.

The cycles are far from meaningless.....batteries do die and buying one with 300 + cycles means you bought a device that's been used quite a lot by now.... Unless your planning to have it sit on a desk 100% of the time plugged in cycles means everything in a laptop or any device with a battery

But then again you are apparently a Trump supporter so you must believe that's true ;)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The cycles are far from meaningless.....batteries do die and buying one with 300 + cycles means you bought a device that's been used quite a lot by now.... Unless your planning to have it sit on a desk 100% of the time plugged in cycles means everything in a laptop or any device with a battery

But then again you are apparently a Trump supporter so you must believe that's true ;)
The cyclecount says nothing about usage or battery health.

Some batteries are at excellent health at 1000 cycles, while others are close to dead at only 10.

My last battery died after 2 years at 130 cycles. At the apple store I was given a lecture on not keeping my macbook connected to the charger all the time.

A very low cycle count can be an indicator for someone who left his macbook plugged in all the time ... or not ... hence the cyclecount is meaningless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.