Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightsky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
SA,Tx
Hello, Here is a list of comparably priced (SLR like) digital cameras I'm interested in:

Kodak p850
Lumix DMC FZ7
PowerShot IS S2
Cyber Shot H2

I have a Nikon N6006 35mm SLR but need to explore creative experiments with digital camera for a portfolio. I am new to digital photography and printing production using digital and computer software tools. I plenty of manual creative and technical production experience but changed fields before the PC and Apple explosion. Now I want to return photography and print production. I'm partial to DMC FZ7 but LCD resolution and Zoom lens mechanism r of concern according to some reviews, although specs reveal higher over all resolution than that of kodak, except for the LCD. Kodak p850 seems very competitive love the flash hot shoe. Both FZ7 & P850 taut outstanding lens quality. Have looked at gallery photos but its hard to decide, photo quality seems great on both and a good photographer can make most cameras look great. FYI have to get my portfolio done rather quickly.
Thanks for your help.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Before everyone rushes in here and recommends the Canon option, along with other Canon cameras not on the list, I'd like to put in a recommendation for the H2. ;)

I don't know much about the Kodak, and all I know about Panasonic is that their sensor is noisier than others, although there are a few great things about some of the Panasonic line that makes them an option for me in the future. The FZ7 is a camera that owners seem very happy with, which pretty much says it all. :)

The Canon S2 IS is a nice camera, but I didn't like the controls. The IS is great though. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more details on the Canon.

nightsky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
SA,Tx
Image quality and other suggestions..help

Others have suggested:
Fuji 6000fd
Lumix FZ30 Both these options are $100. more
At this point I am starting to get discouraged. I do need AV output connection otherwise i would just buy Lumix LZ3 for $130. to start off with but it, alas no AV output.
All these cameras each to have a set of serious flaw. LOL Noise which i think = blur and IS = blur. Wish all manufactures would cease chasing pixels and iso settings that don't work and just refine the best of what works for now.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello, Here is a list of comparably priced (SLR like) digital cameras I'm interested in:.......
I have a Nikon N6006 35mm SLR but need to explore creative experiments with digital camera for a portfolio.

Why not buy a DSLR body to replace the N6006 and use your existing Nikon lenses?
Right now the D50 body is selling at discount and would be a direct swap for the N6006. It will focus a bit faster than the 6006 but otherwise work about the same but for digital in place of film.

The other option is to simply scan your film.

nightsky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
SA,Tx
Will continue to look b4 buying :)

Why not buy a DSLR body to replace the N6006 and use your existing Nikon lenses?
Right now the D50 body is selling at discount and would be a direct swap for the N6006. It will focus a bit faster than the 6006 but otherwise work about the same but for digital in place of film.

The other option is to simply scan your film.

You're thinking Chris, Thanks... LOL Just came back from looking at cameras first hand and b4 coming on here chked DPR for Specs on Nikon D40 that was available at BestBuy. Digital cameras feel awkwardly small and I don't like that the LCDs have no covers on the DSLRs I saw. Sure glad I did not just jump in and order online w/o going to physically look and hold. Think I will scan my film, till I can find something I feel comfortable spending $300. +
FYI wound up w/ D40 - couldn't resist ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.