Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiotheturk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2024
Hello,

I will use my system for 4k video editing, some photo editing, creating content for social media and that is all. Video editing is not at a very professional level, I will be using Final Cut Pro as video editing software (I am still learning Da Vinci Resolve, and not so good at it) So this usage is a hobby at the moment but I am considering an opportunity to do it as my secondary income source in the future (after 1-2 years)

Therefore, choosing a device with future-proof features is very important, especially if you invest so much money in it.

So with that said, I need your advice and thoughts on choosing between two options;

Option 1 Mini Mac M2 Pro:

Hardware

• Apple M2 Pro with 10‑core CPU, 16-core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
  • 32GB unified memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, two USB‑A ports, headphone jack
  • Accessory Kit
Accompanied with ASUS ProArt Display 32” 4K HDR Monitor (PA329CV)

Also with Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard

Option 2 iMac M3:

Hardware

• Apple M3 chip with 8‑core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 10‑core GPU and 16‑core Neural Engine
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • 24GB unified memory
  • Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
  • Two USB 3 ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Magic Mouse
  • Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad - US English
  • Accessory Kit

My budget at the moment allows me these two options so adding Studio Display to option 1 is not an option for now.

Do you think option 2 with those features is enough to cover my needs and have somewhat future-proof features that give the full Apple Mac experience with that great display (although it is 24" and Asus is 32")?

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions already.

Thank you very much

Jio

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello,

I will use my system for 4k video editing, some photo editing, creating content for social media and that is all. Video editing is not at a very professional level, I will be using Final Cut Pro as video editing software (I am still learning Da Vinci Resolve, and not so good at it) So this usage is a hobby at the moment but I am considering an opportunity to do it as my secondary income source in the future (after 1-2 years)

Therefore, choosing a device with future-proof features is very important, especially if you invest so much money in it.

So with that said, I need your advice and thoughts on choosing between two options;

Option 1 Mini Mac M2 Pro:

Hardware

• Apple M2 Pro with 10‑core CPU, 16-core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
  • 32GB unified memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, two USB‑A ports, headphone jack
  • Accessory Kit
Accompanied with ASUS ProArt Display 32” 4K HDR Monitor (PA329CV)

Also with Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard

Option 2 iMac M3:

Hardware

• Apple M3 chip with 8‑core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 10‑core GPU and 16‑core Neural Engine
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • 24GB unified memory
  • Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
  • Two USB 3 ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Magic Mouse
  • Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad - US English
  • Accessory Kit

My budget at the moment allows me these two options so adding Studio Display to option 1 is not an option for now.

Do you think option 2 with those features is enough to cover my needs and have somewhat future-proof features that give the full Apple Mac experience with that great display (although it is 24" and Asus is 32")?

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions already.

Thank you very much

Jio
Just my opinion but the iMac has a screen that is too small for video and photo editing... FCP needs quaite a lot of screen space. You can get a second monitor but then the two don't match. They don't have to match, use one larger screen for controlling the tracks and the iMac for as a veiwer.

In any case, think about screen space. either system can work, but do think ahead abot the monitors.

Also neaither has enough storage for video. You need some kind of external or networked storage and a way to back it all up at least two different ways

Reactions: Ben J.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Just a few thoughts:
The difference between M2 and M3 isn't very big. It's comes mostly from the higher clock frequency.
The M2 Pro has 6 performance cores and 4 efficiency, so that's a plus for M2Pro.
The four TB/USBc ports of the M2pro is very nice to have.
I love the 32GB ram - it lets me do almost anything, and have multiple large apps running all the time without thinking about it. 24GB is not bad either.

I'd go for the M2 Pro, but as you can see from my signature, I'm biased.
Anyway, any of them will do the job, and more.

(Added; I completely agree w/ChrisA: the 24" would be way too small for my taste. I use a 55" LG OLED TV for viewing at some distance, and a 32" Benq for sitting up close. I would never be happy with anything smaller, when working with Lightroom Classic f.ex.)

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
BE AWARE !

New "pro" Minis are likely to be released before the end of the year, Oct/Nov looks possible.

These will have the m4pro CPU.

Granted, this is still "rumored".
But... if you buy now... you could be severely disappointed by the end of the year.
(of course, the old saying still applies, "if you NEED now, then BUY now")

Can you wait just a few months more...?

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
If you go with mini, please note that it is a pain in the a$$ to find a proper display. Google the proper monitor size and resolution for mac and you will see why. Personally if studio display is not an option, I would go with iMac. But at the same time, I did not get iMac, as I want at least 27"..

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
If you go with mini, please note that it is a pain in the a$$ to find a proper display. Google the proper monitor size and resolution for mac and you will see why. Personally if studio display is not an option, I would go with iMac. But at the same time, I did not get iMac, as I want at least 27"..
?????
It couldn't be easier. You can plug almost any screen into a mac mini and it'll just work. HDMI, Displayport, MDPort, small size, high resolution, large size, low resolution, custom resolutions, etc.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
?????
It couldn't be easier. You can plug almost any screen into a mac mini and it'll just work. HDMI, Displayport, MDPort, small size, high resolution, large size, low resolution, custom resolutions, etc.
What he’s trying say is Mac OS is not optimized for 4k displays at native resolution. As far as the physical relative size of the OS (physical size of windows and working area in an screen) and how it displays. Apple optimized the OS for its screens.

Basically it works like this. A 27 in 4k screen is 4x 1080p. So Mac os will treat a 27in 4k monitor as a working area of a 1080p screen at 4x the resolution. It’s a little tight for a screen that size because apple set its OS to have an optimal resolution for a 27in monitor to 1440p or 5k. You can’t scale it like you can on Windows.

Now most people probably don’t care or even notice. Or even know what an optimal resolution is for monitor to its size. Apple does allow you to run a 4k 27in monitor in 5k or even 6k mode, but the os renders at those higher resolutions and scales down which may put a slight performance hit and less sharp picture as the OS to take that higher resolution and scale it down. But I run my 4k monitor in 5k mode and it looks just fine, even though I can tell it’s not quite as sharp as native resolution. And also I really don’t notice any performance hits.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MacFarmer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.