Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you been affected by not being able to get older OSX installers from apple?

• Total voters

expresspeace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Hi everyone,

When apple decided to end giving us the OS on physical media, they said that we would all be ok because they would have the code we needed at the press of a button on their app store. This has not worked well, mostly not worked. And has caused major work and financial disruption to millions of people. Personally as a tech director for a 40+ person facility, in just the last year we've lost at least 60 hours of work time due to not being able to get older OSX installs, due to bugs or refusals from apple to get the install .dgm. That translates to a lot of lost earnings.

Their older OSX versions are needed by many professionals who work in the arts for connectivity to external devices which can't be replaced due to cost, work flows and other critical reasons. If we as owners of their products try to discuss this on their forums looking for help, apple deletes the posts immediately in good dictator fashion. So it is impossible to address this issue with Apple or to other apple users on their forums since apple is afraid of dissenting opinion. That behavior from apple tells us a lot about how they feel they're allowed to treat their customers.

So there are two things that need to be addressed.
1. Collect and place all the OSX installers and updates on a server apple can not take down.
This needs to happen so people can access what they need until apple fixes their broken app store links to older OSX installs.
2. Start a campaign to get users to demand access to the installers in the following fashion: A user should be able to: a. Search and find all OSX installers on the app store. b. Download a full install of any OSX regardless of operation system they are using to browse the app store. c. Users should not have to be required to have formally bought or downloaded the OSX version, since ALL osx versions of recent have been free.

If we can eventually get to item 2, then the art world will be able to use our peripherals long enough until we can earn the money to replace them with future technology. Something we all probably want, but can't just do since we're not a Tim Cook Billionaire.

Would anyone like to help with this? If we can get #1 started I can do PR releases to all the mags, but we need some momentum first.

expresspeace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
chabig, relevant question, I'm new to this facility, former tech did not keep those. I have all such files like this for my personal needs, but not very many since I quit buying their computers some time ago for personal use. What I have works for me personally, no need to spend $6k for upgrade. Now my question to you is, do you want to help other mac users? Do you have any of the DMG files we're looking for? Love to have your help.
[doublepost=1530569791][/doublepost]
Apple will not sacrifice security.

Which is why we need option #1. So do you have any of the files you will share with fellow mac users?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"b. Download a full install of any OSX regardless of operation system they are using to browse the app store."

Good luck on that.
Apple doesn't want you to have such "freedom" any more.
I predict they are NOT going to embrace a change of policy on such matters.
They want you to have, what THEY "want you to have".

"1. Collect and place all the OSX installers and updates on a server apple can not take down."

Gee, this already exists.
There are many "unauthorized" ways to obtain the versions of the Mac OS that one might require.
But because they are (cough, choke!) "UNauthorized", can't say too much more about that here.

There's ANOTHER WAY to accomplish what you're thinking:
That is -- build and maintain a "library" of old Apple OS software YOURSELF.

If I need a copy of the installer for Mountain Lion, Yosemite, El Cap, or Low Sierra, it's right here at the touch of my fingers on one of my archives. In fact, I've got OS X "all the way back to Panther", if I needed it.

Even though I don't need it, I still keep it around.
I've still got floppy disks with System 5.0 on them!

macrumors member
May 14, 2018
All old OSX's and parts of them are available for download. You just have to do a search on Apple site :)

nglevin

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2018
Anything from Leopard and after that should still be available on Apple's website. I had no difficulty updating a PowerBook G4 last week.

I don't think the Tiger updates are available anymore, and ditto for MPW and some of the really old Mac software. Bit inconsistent as to what's kept and removed once you move out of the OS X timeframe.

EDIT: But Mavericks and Yosemite do seem to have vanished from the MAS. Oh well. Mountain Lion is still kicking though for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.