Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlos28355

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
this may be too complicated but ill ask some smarter than me people....i have an ecobee3 and an eve door sensor on my front door...heres what id like to happen

Sometimes its nice enough out even with global warming that we might want to open the doors and windows. But we dont want the AC or Heater to kick on....So id like to set my ac to lets say 84 degrees and my heat to 65 degrees while the door is detected...ideally id like this to happen only after the door is open for a period of time but i know thats asking too much but id also like it to put my ecobee back to my home status when i close the door...

I can partially get this to work. I can have it set my ecobee to 78 and 65 if i have it set to auto...i can't get above 78 for some reason but i can change it to only ac or to only heat or turn it off..but when i close the door i dont know how to get it back to my home status. is this too complicated of a task for these devices currently? thanks

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
this may be too complicated but ill ask some smarter than me people....i have an ecobee3 and an eve door sensor on my front door...heres what id like to happen

Sometimes its nice enough out even with global warming that we might want to open the doors and windows. But we dont want the AC or Heater to kick on....So id like to set my ac to lets say 84 degrees and my heat to 65 degrees while the door is detected...ideally id like this to happen only after the door is open for a period of time but i know thats asking too much but id also like it to put my ecobee back to my home status when i close the door...

I can partially get this to work. I can have it set my ecobee to 78 and 65 if i have it set tased on ato auto...i can't get above 78 for some reason but i can change it to only ac or to only heat or turn it off..but when i close the door i dont know how to get it back to my home status. is this too complicated of a task for these devices currently? thanks
I think if you create an automation based on door closure - you will see "next" that allows you to select any HK device - including your Ecobee. When you do select "mode" to choose: Off, Heat, Color or Auto. The after a period of time would be nice - maybe you could write to Elgato and if they plan on adding that as an option.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don’t have a door sensor to give specifics but what I would do....

Use a specific window, one you’d only open if it was nice out. This will really narrow down a lot of the need for timers and confusion with the automation.

Also deep in the Ecobee settings you’ll find high and low limits. These are to prevent you from accidentally setting the heat to 90. You can change them to suit your needs.

Then I would recommend a scene for the Ecobee to precisely set what you want it to do.

You’ll need two automation for that window. One for open, one for closed.

From there you can include other automations to activate like turning on ceiling fans an such.

Again I more or less guessing the capabilities of the Eve products but done like above should make it simple enough to work.

carlos28355

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
all good tips thanks. been super busy so i haven't messed with any of this really but im getting back into it since summer is coming. I like your idea of the window sensor so ill have to buy another sensor then ill try what you suggest. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.