Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokka

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Hey Everyone,

I currently use a MBP M1 and I've had cc details stolen twice. I am currently living in India and this is what happened:

I used my brothers credit card details to purchase a Flight ticket on Qantas' website and about a week later his card was used for a transaction at www.walmart.com and he immediately called the bank and cancelled the card. I didn't think it was due to this as I use a Macbook and the browser I use is Brave. Then on 21 Jul I used my digital debit card details to pay at an Australian Government website and on 29 July I had two transactions on Ubereats.com I contacted my bank and cancelled my cards. It looks like my card details are being stolen every time I use them on my macbook. Does anyone have any advice on this? I ran Bitdefender and Malware bytes and nothing came up. I'm really concerned and don't know what to do! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone else experienced this and if so what did you do?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
So where is your credit card information kept or used on your MBP?

I have had to cancel many credit cards due to fraudulent transactions. The last time it happened on a credit card that I never even use. My suspicion is that the fraud was due to data leaks but that is just a guess.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Are you using a VPN when you connect to these transaction sites? Are you saving the CC data on the website, on your Mac or not saving it at all.

In terms of what I would do:
1. Change you Wifi password, and SSID
2. Find and use a VPN service for all transactional uses
3. Sign up for an identity Theft protection service.
4. Check your credit record.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.