Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David87483

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
Recently, water accidentally entered the connection between the screen and keyboard of my MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar 2018 A1990. The power button stopped working, but the TOUCH ID and other keys are working.

Now, whenever I close the lid and shut down the MacBook, it doesn't respond to pressing the power button to turn it back on. Instead, I have to plug in the charger to get it to start up.

The main issue is that the MacBook doesn't wake up quickly from sleep mode. It goes through a full startup process as if it were restarted rather than quickly waking up.
Moreover, I've noticed that the battery bar displays a "in need of service" notification.

I live in a country where there are no official Apple service centers, just authorized ones, but honestly, I'm not too confident in their reputation. Could you please help me with some advice on what to do in this situation?

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Well apple would do a topcase replacement with keyboard and battery. Costing $700-800

Otherwise in case it is dry now and no other issues i guess u can be lucky.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asked:
"Could you please help me with some advice on what to do in this situation?"

My advice is to start looking around for a replacement.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you have the necessary screwdrivers, I recommend removing the bottom cover, disconnecting the battery, disassembling the MacBook as much as possible, and cleaning any areas that appear to be corroded with pure isopropyl alcohol. Leave the MacBook disassembled to allow as much moisture to evaporate as possible, reassemble, and test.

Reactions: MrAperture

David87483

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
Well apple would do a topcase replacement with keyboard and battery. Costing $700-800

Otherwise in case it is dry now and no other issues i guess u can be lucky.
There are issues.

1.I have to resort to using the charger to turn on the MacBook.

2.It takes numerous attempts the MBP to detect charging. I don’t know what is the problem : all charging ports are working fine when MacBook is on,but when it is off, MBP randomly charges from one of the ports. Most of the times MBP just ignores all ports.

3.After several hours of inactivity, the MacBook cannot be quickly turned on by opening the lid. Instead of a quick startup, the Apple logo and boot-up bar appear as if after a hard reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.