Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacJohnson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
South Dakota
I have Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2...I want to take a picture and make it into a sweet HDR image. Steps in doing so would be great, Thanks for the help and tips

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
As was mentioned before you need to be careful not to overdo the HDR effect. Sometimes it will look good but often times keeping the image more realistic is better. Check out the HDR thread for examples of good and not-so-good HDR's: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/401234/

And personally if you are going to do a lot of HDR you should be using Photomatix. It has a lot more control over the image that Photoshop does. You can download a demo and test it out.

Also, making a "sweet HDR" is not as easy as you think. I know for all of mine I usually spend quite a while tweaking setting to try and get it just right. Just remember not to overdo the effect and that it's not just another Photoshop filter you can apply. Not all photos need HDR and it is far to easy to make something that is truly disgusting.

What I would recommend doing is in addition to tutorials about how to make HDRs would be to look up some of the history and usage for the technique so you have a better understanding of what it is used for.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
And personally if you are going to do a lot of HDR you should be using Photomatix. It has a lot more control over the image that Photoshop does. You can download a demo and test it out.

WHAT?? Photomatix offer more automation, like a point and shoot camera but Photoshop allows you more control and 100 times more ways to make the image. You can do the entire job in photoshop using masks or a print brush tool to paint in one image over the other. I'm not esaying which to use, Photoshop has a long learning curve while the other is automated

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
HDR is not the same as tonemapping

Keep mind that a true HDR image cannot be displayed on your monitor. There is confusion on this point because people use "HDR photo" to refer to the final, tone-mapped 8-bit (or sometimes 16-bit) image.

For example, some tutorials talk about creating an "HDR" from one exposure, but technically, all they are doing is adjusting the levels and exporting two copies and then tone-mapping those together. For a true HDR image, use at least 3 exposures and your final tone-mapped output will be better.

Have fun!

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
WHAT?? Photomatix offer more automation, like a point and shoot camera but Photoshop allows you more control and 100 times more ways to make the image. You can do the entire job in photoshop using masks or a print brush tool to paint in one image over the other. I'm not esaying which to use, Photoshop has a long learning curve while the other is automated

You can spend two hours in PS tweaking your HDR image to look just right. Or you can spend 15 Minutes in Photomatix.

The best solution is to start with Photomatix and then bring the blended image into PS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.