Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Stupidly, I put my camera, Casio Exilim S600, into a pocket in my board shorts and subsequently got buried in sand and then jumped into the lake to get the sand off. Immediately after, I took the battery out and let both the camera and battery dry off in the sun. You could see condensation under the LCD screen but it's gone now.

About 7 hrs later I got home and took the camera apart, used compressed air and sprayed everything and I think I got most of the sand off. I cleaned some parts with a damp towel and right now I'm going to let it dry for a couple days and then try turning it on.

Am I doing the right thing here? My friend suggested I soak it in 100% isopropyl alcohol to get all the water out or something of that nature. Any advice?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
You might try putting it in a sealed container full of rice. I know that sounds stupid, but the rice will draw out the moisture faster than almost anything else. I would close up all of the doors on your camera, so the rice won't get inside, and then put it in a sealed container with the rice, and give it a couple of days.

Keep your fingers crossed...

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
You might try putting it in a sealed container full of rice. I know that sounds stupid, but the rice will draw out the moisture faster than almost anything else. I would close up all of the doors on your camera, so the rice won't get inside, and then put it in a sealed container with the rice, and give it a couple of days.

Keep your fingers crossed...

Or the containers of large dessicants they sell for damp rooms and basements.
You can pick them up at Home Depot or Lowes. I'd wrap it up in a paper towel and stick it in there covered. It'll get the water out much better than rice.

Then fire her up. Odds are better than 50/50 she'll work.

Good Luck!

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I take the opposite approach. Open up all doors on the camera, everything. Take out the batteries, etc. of course. And let it set outside in the hot sun all day. Repeat the next day.

This always works for me.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
I'm really interested in the outcome. Only once have I ever put a digital camera into the water - and it was dead as a doornail as a result. Had to be sent back to a service center for some integrated circuit to be replaced or some such.

Good luck.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
haha I'll let you guys know. I've already gotten it repaired once because one of my teachers dropped it onto concrete and I'm going to China in less than 2 weeks so hopefully everything works out. If not, I can just buy a new one, but I was hoping on getting an iPhone so that'll set me back a bit.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I take the opposite approach. Open up all doors on the camera, everything. Take out the batteries, etc. of course. And let it set outside in the hot sun all day. Repeat the next day.

This always works for me.
Although using this method introduces another risk: frying your camera in the sun.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
When I jumped in the pool (actually, I was in there for over 20 mins) with my phone in my pocket, I took the battery out and left it under an incandescent light over night. It worked the next day but somehow died after a month or so.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
ok it's definitely working. when i turn it on i get a choose date screen which means the whole thing was reset. however, the lens will not open and it tells me to retry power on. im guessing it's a mechanical problem with sand in the lens mechanism.

theres two ways to turn on my camera, power button, or i can press the little square with triangle inside button and it'll take me to the pictures and not open the lens. i pressed the triangle button and everything was working, pictures were still in the sd card, zoom in/out working, menu buttons, etc. so i think everything is fine except for the lens

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
im trying to do it manually but it's quite difficult. I dont think the sand is necessarily in the lens, it's like stuck in between each 'ring'

411HKDSN7EL._SS500_.jpg

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
im trying to do it manually but it's quite difficult. I dont think the sand is necessarily in the lens, it's like stuck in between each 'ring'

411HKDSN7EL._SS500_.jpg

I hate to say it, but you predicted this and probably caused *this* issue in your first post.

used compressed air and sprayed everything

By using compressed air, chances are you actually forced foreign matter ( sand / dirt ) from the surface farther back into the camera.

Hopefully if you get it working if something like this happens in the future, depending on the water you drop it in, best to just take out the battery and
let it dry.

IF - it goes down in SALT WATER - best to dunk it in FRESH WATER to get rid of the salt. Salt may not show up as a problem now, but in a month or so it will manifest itself as another problem.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.

Hmmm. I have a very strong shopvac. If it were my camera, I think I'd set the shopvac sucking over the lens opening while trying to open/close the lens. You may get lucky and dislodge some particulate and the vac should catch it so it doesn't fall into camera. Just an idea.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
yeah i dont think anything will work.

on the other hand can anyone recommend a good camera for about $200 give or take $30? or like what is the best camera you can buy for that price?

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Well I can't say anything for cameras or lakes, but I have drenched electronics before and can tell you what not to do. DO NOT TAKE IT APART AND HANG PARTS ON A CLOTHES LINE.

That being said, I'd let it dry on its own and if there is condensation matter, I would put it in some desicant in a paper towel and let it dry out. Unless you shorted something I'm guessing you'll have a better than even chance of it working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.