Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I have a Canon 40D, and I have dust actually underneath my sensor, not on the surface. I've cleaned it with the correct solutions and used air blowers but to no avail.

I've contacted Canon and they have some repair centre details for me, but with no prices.

How much am I expecting to pay for someone to clean my sensor, which will probably involve them actually removing it from the camera.

Here is an attachment with the dust...

Attachments

• IMG_2803.jpg
    IMG_2803.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 120

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Underneath the sensor? I thought that there was a filter over the sensor. Could the dust be underneath the filter?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have a Canon 40D, and I have dust actually underneath my sensor, not on the surface. I've cleaned it with the correct solutions and used air blowers but to no avail.

No, you don't. Underneath the sensor is "never shows up in an image circuit board." However, sensor cleaning well is not trivial, are you absolutely sure you've cleaned it well enough with good solid swabs? You may have something under the Anti-Aliasing filter or the hot mirror, but that's not under the sensor... Can you actually see something on the sensor, or could it be dead sensels?

I've contacted Canon and they have some repair centre details for me, but with no prices.

How much am I expecting to pay for someone to clean my sensor, which will probably involve them actually removing it from the camera.

Here is an attachment with the dust...

You don't have to remove the sensor from the camera to get under the AA filter or hot mirror unless they're one complete assembly, but you do need the right tools and a clean-room environment to do it well. In the US, I'd expect that to be $150-250ish if it's a removable AA filter or hot mirror issue. But it's best to send it in and have them quote it.

krissears

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
camera cleaning

i guess cleaning the sensor with swab is okay.. cleaning by brushing or blowing... but the best would be to go their camera service center just to make sure that you're camera is cleaned in the right way..
ando.gif
doing it yourself if you're really not good when it comes to cameras might damage it so be careful...

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
No, you don't. Underneath the sensor is "never shows up in an image circuit board." However, sensor cleaning well is not trivial, are you absolutely sure you've cleaned it well enough with good solid swabs? You may have something under the Anti-Aliasing filter or the hot mirror, but that's not under the sensor... Can you actually see something on the sensor, or could it be dead sensels?

I can actually see something on the sensor panel... I've tried and used some pressure with a sensor swab, but it will absolutely not budge... It's impossible that it could be a scratch... could it be between the sensor and the filter?

Thanks to all for the replies...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I can actually see something on the sensor panel... I've tried and used some pressure with a sensor swab, but it will absolutely not budge... It's impossible that it could be a scratch... could it be between the sensor and the filter?

Dust or grime can get very stubbornly attached to a sensor. I remember seeing a microscopic view of dust on a sensor once; it looked like craggy boulders stuck in little potholes.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
When the swab meets the surface of the filter, I can see that the dust appears to be under the very top layer. I guess this means it is under the filter?

I'm completely frustrated!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Yes, it's possible, though odd that it wasn't there all along. Again, sending it to Canon is your best bet- and hope it's not one part, because if it is, it'll be expensive, but at least they'll do it right in a clean room.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Just an update.

I contacted Amazon, whom I purchased the Canon 40D, and they offered me a full refund and agreed that it shouldn't really have allowed dust to get between the filter and sensor.

Thanks Amazon!

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I was going to say, if you had another DSLR you could have taken a macro shot to try and figure out what exactly it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.