Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hello all.

I am looking for a cheap (less than $100) mac pro with a g5 or a power Mac with a g5.
Dual g5's are preferred.

This computer for me is more of a project. I don't care if it has a hard drive or not, because I will be installing an SSD. I just need this computer for some games and some internet browsing.

PLEASE DON'T whine about POWERPC's being 'outdated junk' because I don't wanna hear it!

Thanks all again!!

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Hello all.

I am looking for a cheap (less than $100) mac pro with a g5 or a power Mac with a g5.
Dual g5's are preferred.

This computer for me is more of a project. I don't care if it has a hard drive or not, because I will be installing an SSD. I just need this computer for some games and some internet browsing.

PLEASE DON'T whine about POWERPC's being 'outdated junk' because I don't wanna hear it!

Thanks all again!!
This would be more appropriate for the PowerMac forum. Having said that I have a 1.6GHz PowerMac G5 and 22" ACD that I'd be willing to part with for $50 (for both).

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
As mentioned above there are occasionally good deals to be had on eBay, the drawback is of course the expense of shipping a Power Mac G5. It'd also be a good idea to look locally, I got all of my G5s locally and only used eBay for parts/upgrades.

Modern web browsing is doable but a little slow even on a dual G5, so I can't recommend one on that reason alone. They are great for project Macs, period-correct games, and playing with the older Apple software/ecosystem; and will take an SSD but I recommend staying way from SATA III SSDs to avoid problems (Intel 320 SATA II SSD works fine in my G5 Quad). Any modern SSD will be limited by the G5's SATA I bus regardless if it's II or III.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hello all.

Dual g5's are preferred.

Thanks all again!!
Finding a Power Mac G5 is easy, finding a Mac Pro with a G5 not so much.:rolleyes:

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
ebay/gumtree newspapers are best bet in uk
there cheep and good for a cool case

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Your best bet is Craigslist. On eBay the shipping can by hundreds of dollars. I got a dual 2GHz G5, plus Apple Studio display and keyboard and mouse for $45 on Craigslist. Check your area!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It seems you must have posted this in the Intel Mac section originally. That said, let me help with some of your confusion about models.

@jbarley already touched on this. But to be more precise…

There is no such thing as a Mac Pro with a G5 processor. A Mac Pro by nature has an Intel processor, which makes it an Intel Mac. A PowerMac G5 has a PowerPC G5 processor which makes it a PowerPC Mac.

So, to begin your project it helps to learn the proper terminology because if you are seeking a Mac Pro with a G5 processor you will NEVER find one. They do not exist.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You won't get any flack for asking about "outdated PPC Macs" on this forum.

With that said, can you be more specific about what programs you want to run?

Depending on what they are, your money might be better directed into either a first generation Mac Pro(1,1) or an older G4 tower.

G5s are wonderful computers, and I still use my G5 Quad regularly. I've also been(slowly) preparing a dual 2.7 to replace a lot of tasks that a G4 is currently doing(although it's been slow because I need to find the correct cards to maintain peripheral compatibility, and those cards are easier to find for a G4 than a G5).

If you're running programs that are universal binaries or(most) OS X native programs, they will likely run faster on the Mac Pro. With that said, you must use OS X 10.6.8(Snow Leopard) or earlier to run PPC native programs. Programs like Photoshop CS2 will run faster on a high-spec G5 than on a Mac Pro 1,1, but it's one of the few exceptions.

On the other hand, if the programs you want to run are OS 9 native, I'd strongly encourage you to find a computer that can natively boot OS 9. Up through OS X 10.4.11, it is possible to run OS 9 native programs through the "Classic" virtual machine, but I've generally found this to be unsatisfactory. Most G4 towers(the exception being the last generation Mirrored Drive Door with FW800) will natively boot OS 9.

Just a couple of other thoughts-

First, most games, especially those that will run on a G5, aren't multi-threaded so won't really benefit much from dual processors. This can save you a lot of money as most single processor G5s are virtual give-aways. With that said, you have a LOT of GPU options for AGP G5s and depending on the game you are running I'd get the best that you can afford.

Web browsing still works well on higher spec G5s, but it's becoming a never ending battle to keep it that way with an increasingly bloated internet. The most popular browser is TenFourFox, which is a fork of Firefox(Mozilla) maintained by a single dedicated individual. It's secure and generally gives accurate page renderings, but can be slow(a good G5 will make up a lot for this). If you are running Leopard(potential program incompatibility if you are running OS 9 native programs) there is also Leopard Webkit, which is generally fast. In both cases, you can forget Flash content, Silverlight(Netflix) and a decent amount of other plug-ins. There are some ways to spoof the Flash version number, but this is a bad idea as you are still running a badly outdated version of Flash with security holes. There are some tricks to get certain content to play through Quicktime, and this can get around the issue. Youtube is comfortable on higher spec G5. If, in particular, you want to watch Netflix an Intel Mac is essentially your only option.

I'm sorry for the rambling answer. I don't mean to completely discourage you from getting a G5. As I'm sitting here at work, I'm typing on a Macbook Pro, have Mac Pro 1,1 to my left, a G5 Quad(that's used regularly) on my far right, and an upgraded to the gills PowerMacintosh G3(with a G4 processor) all turned on in my office in addition to several other PowerPC Macs that get used for various purposes. @128keaton has seen my office and can attest to this. He hasn't seen my home, where I have the bottom of closets lined with G4 towers along with stacks of them in corners.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Mac Pros have Intel processors, they were renamed that from PowerMacs when the PowerPC architecture was dropped for Intel (hence they dropped Power, since that mostly referred to the PowerPC CPU). As for your question, I'm fairly sure Want To Buy threads aren't allowed outside of the Marketplace. But despite that, I'm going to join the rest by saying what the others have said, and that is to look on CL/GumTree, whatever is local to you. eBay is just way overpriced. The sellers think anything with an Apple logo on it is worth a small fortune.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm fairly sure Want To Buy threads aren't allowed outside of the Marketplace.
Just speaking to this.

It's not against the rules to tell (or ask) for Macs you're wanting to buy. We do that here all the time in this forum. It's also not against the rules to advertise free stuff (completely free or for the price of shipping) and then deal with the requests via PM.

Where the mods start to get upset with us is when we advertise our Macs for sale here and not in the marketplace or we deal with requests for the free stuff openly (because that can lead to public arguments that do not contribute to anything).

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'm fairly sure Want To Buy threads aren't allowed outside of the Marketplace.
The OP is simply asking for buying advice, which you have given. The other posters who advertised their Macs for sale might be breaking the rules, but I personally see no problem with it. Often good deals can be had buying directly from the previous owner, and I doubt anyone here would try running a scam.
[doublepost=1476760835][/doublepost]
eBay is just way overpriced. The sellers think anything with an Apple logo on it is worth a small fortune.
The Quads especially are going for absurd prices. In many cases more than first gen Mac Pros.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
The Quads especially are going for absurd prices. In many cases more than first gen Mac Pros.
Lucked out with mine at $75 with free shipping! And it happened to be a prototype, I could sell it and make make my investment more than triple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.