Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bussun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
Hi. I'm currently looking to flash my graphic card to enable the boot screen. I searched on some sites but I only find results for the Radeon HD 4870. I would like to know if it is possible to mod the vbios to add the EFI thing to it since I absolutely don't know how to mod theses files but I think it is possible because the graphic card works perfectly once OSX has booted up. I would like to do this because I often switch between Windows and OSX and I know that it's possible to directly boot the wanted system by pressing a key when the computer starts (also I don't have the boot camp software installed on my windows HDD to switch the startup disk to the OSX one if I boot to windows). I own a 2009 Mac Pro.

Thanks in advance.

JeffreyA

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2018
I don't personally have any idea how to do that but I will tell you that you can get a GTX 680 for about 120 and flash it and the performance will be way better than what you will get out that 4870 and you will be able to run Mac OS Mojave.
If you really want to flash it I'd try the netkas forums.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Hi. I'm currently looking to flash my graphic card to enable the boot screen. I searched on some sites but I only find results for the Radeon HD 4870. I would like to know if it is possible to mod the vbios to add the EFI thing to it since I absolutely don't know how to mod theses files but I think it is possible because the graphic card works perfectly once OSX has booted up. I would like to do this because I often switch between Windows and OSX and I know that it's possible to directly boot the wanted system by pressing a key when the computer starts (also I don't have the boot camp software installed on my windows HDD to switch the startup disk to the OSX one if I boot to windows). I own a 2009 Mac Pro.

Thanks in advance.

I think there is only a very small chance of becoming really happy with that card. The best thing in my opinion, - sell it asap and get something with a punch. Everything else is a waste of time.
There are so many good cards on ebay. Just snatch an OEM card and be happy with it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.