Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hildegunn W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
So, I checked the "Optimize Mac Storage" without even thinking about what actually iCloud would do to my computer. There was NO WARNING that my files stored locally on the desktop and in the documents folder would be DELETED from my machine and uploaded to iCloud Drive.

I have backups of everything on external hard drives, but I had a film project stored locally in a folder, since Premiere Pro works better with locally stored files. One day, my entire project was gone from my iMac. I could only access it through iCloud..... I've tried to sync it back, download it to external hard drives, but nothing works..... My workflow is ****ed since my machine is constantly working.... And I have no idea what is going on in this crazy cyber nightmare... It seems that some files which was uploaded to iCloud Drive, is now downloaded to a folder called "Mobile Documents"... I NEED MY ORIGINAL FILE STRUCTURE to go back to what it was before iCloud kidnapped my project. I need it back. My iMac has enough storage to download the entire folder, but i still get a message "not enough space", so I can't sync it back. And I can't copy it to an external hard drive either.

For about a week iCloud has had processes working, I don't know what or why...I try to stop the syncing, but it won't stop. I try to restart my machine, it just continues... I've talked to three different "experts" from Apple support...they even tried to mirror my desktop to help me, but the connection was interrupted because of the constant syncing....Please, HOW CAN I GET MY FILES BACK the way they were before iCloud? Why can't I copy a folder from iCloud Drive to an external Hard drive?

Why does the overview say that I only have 11,15 GB available, when I actually have about 400GB? Are the iCloud files stored locally someplace?

Best regards,

Damsel in distress - Hildegunn

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 14.20.23.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 14.20.23.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 255

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I NEED MY ORIGINAL FILE STRUCTURE to go back to what it was before iCloud kidnapped my project."

This is why I have never signed into iCloud.
This is why I will never sign INTO iCloud.

Never never NEVER "trust the cloud" with your most precious data.
Not Apple's cloud, or anybody else's cloud.

Always always ALWAYS keep a backup copy of your important data on an EXTERNAL drive that you PHYSICALLY CONTROL. Preferably two or more of them.

Go forth from this day, and learn... sadder, but wiser!

Reactions: bhodinut

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
It's possible the files are actually still on your Mac. If you have enough room the files are not removed from your Mac. The not enough storage could be you are trying to download files that are already on your Mac and doubling the size.

In your sidebar you should see iCloud with Desktop and Documents underneath. You can turn off the feature in iCloud then drag the files back to the familiar Desktop and Documents folders.

I suggest that you first clone your drive so any data on your drive will not be lost while you try to recover your data.

Software used to Clone:

CarbonCopyCloner http://www.bombich.com/download.html (All options are available free for 30 days)

SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/ (Free forever to do an erase and install. Purchased version allows for smart updates and schedules)

I'm not sure where in the User's Library the cloud files are stored. You could use OmniDiskSweeper to find large files and it should show you the path. While this is still considered trial for High Sierra, I've used it with no issues.

https://omnistaging.omnigroup.com/omnidisksweeper/releases/OmniDiskSweeper-1.10.x-r305308-Test.dmg

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.