Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorcar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
so, my employer gave me a new iphone, since apparently i couldnt not bring my old iphone to the fixer under my apartment. Today my employer received the old iphone I had shipped, and when they switched on I think I received an alert that there had been a connection at my icloud account, or something similar.
So the news is that they obviously deleted all the pics from old iphone, and both icloud and new iphone mirror now that, so I do not have anymore the pics.
Now, i think this is idiot to say the least. From my employer for sure, but also from Apple.
I always thought iCloud was like Google Photo, taking your pics no matter what you do on your phone. So if you run out of space on your phone you can delete them but you always have a copy on your Google Photo.

Now, what is the point of having icloud suggesting you to buy more space if your material gets deleted if you deleted from your iphone? am I missing something? is there a way to detach the icloud pics from iphone pics, so that it works like Google Photo?
thanks in advance

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
so, my employer gave me a new iphone, since apparently i couldnt not bring my old iphone to the fixer under my apartment. Today my employer received the old iphone I had shipped, and when they switched on I think I received an alert that there had been a connection at my icloud account, or something similar.

I don't understand, you use your personal iCloud login on a work phone? And you didn't reset the phone when you handed it back? Not smart.

I always thought iCloud was like Google Photo, taking your pics no matter what you do on your phone.

You thought wrong, it's a sync service, not storage. Apple has a very clear explanation of iCloud Photo Library on their site. You should have read it.

lorcar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
i only have one icloud account, the one set up by my employer. I have only one phone, so i take personal pics with the only phone i have, which is work phone.
I switched off all data connections, and I was expected them to wipe it out before restoring connections. It is highly modified for security reasons, so I doubt I could have reset it on my own.

so since it is a sync service, and since your iphone has a clear space limit while you can always buy space for icloud, what's the point of buying more space for icloud? i would never do it, since when I have to free space on the phone it gets automatically deleted on the icloud as well.

also, if i want to connect my home mac to the same icloud account, is there a way to have the home mac (which has more space than the iphone and the icloud) download automatically all the pics on the icloud (which I take with my phone) but at the same time not having all the pics on my mac be transferred on the icloud? based on what you wrote, if I now link iphone, icloud and home mac, then when I need to free space on the iphone i will lose the pics/video on the two other

thanks

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
...so since it is a sync service, and since your iphone has a clear space limit while you can always buy space for icloud, what's the point of buying more space for icloud? i would never do it, since when I have to free space on the phone it gets automatically deleted on the icloud as well.

This is the whole point of the "Optimize Storage" option in iCloud Photo Library. You can have virtually unlimited numbers of photos, on any iPhone model.

Freeing phone space by deleting your photos, like people do with Google Photos and Dropbox, takes all the convenience and joy out of it, IMO. Apple's doing it right. All your photos, available on all your devices, all the time.

lorcar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
sorry but I think I miss something.
You optimize storage, so meaning that you have unlimited icloud space and a bit lower quality pics. But then I do not understand how you solve the issue when you iphone is short of memory.
I take all my pics on my iphone, they get uploaded automatically on my optimized icloud and then at some point my iphone runs out of memory, while my icloud doesnt. Then I had to delete from phone, and automatically they get deleted from icloud. So what am I missing? seriously I am not trolling. How do you free space on your phone???
thanks in advance

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You optimize storage, so meaning that you have unlimited icloud space and a bit lower quality pics. But then I do not understand how you solve the issue when you iphone is short of memory.
I take all my pics on my iphone, they get uploaded automatically on my optimized icloud and then at some point my iphone runs out of memory, while my icloud doesnt. Then I had to delete from phone, and automatically they get deleted from icloud. So what am I missing? seriously I am not trolling. How do you free space on your phone???
thanks in advance

This explains how everything works.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

When optimization is on, the storage used for photos on the device is very minimal.

Reactions: M. Gustave

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
You optimize storage, so meaning that you have unlimited icloud space and a bit lower quality pics.

No. It optimizes the storage on your phone. It has nothing to do with your iCloud space; and your photos are always stored in iCloud at full resolution, and on your phone when you open, edit, or share them.

Read the link @Mlrollin91 posted.

Reactions: Mlrollin91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.