Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
hi all,
i am made up with the new itunes setup as i can now (using a home network kind of setup) share music with my partner who uses a PC. if i rip a new CD or download something into my library she can browse and import into her library thus saving a lot of hassle in pen drives etc (not a lot of hassle actually but enough :rolleyes:)
what i need to know is whether there is a similar software we can both use for photo sharing so when either one of us upload new photos from our camera phones or digital camera onto our computer the other can easily add those photos to their own photo manager programme.
i currently use iphoto, she uses picassa. we are both willing to change if there is a good option for us both.
i guess someone might say just use an online service - of course if this is the easier way then fine but i dont really want to take the time to upload to internet as connection speed isnt great were we live.
thanks in advance to everyone who can offer any advice :D sorry just remembered we have a home network via our internet router in case this helps.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I would just put all of the pics in a commonly accessible directory. Either a NAS or a shared folder on either computer. Each person could then import as desired. You would need the storage computer on whenever you wanted to view the pics though, so NAS may be worthwhile. It is easy for a Mac to connect to a PC across a network, I have never tried the reverse direction, but assume it works as well.

Mcbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
brilliant thanks that sounds pretty easy - but i'm not sure what you mean by NAS, sorry. also would the files be accessible by both computers when not near the network (pretty sure answer is yes but am new to sharing over network - thats why the itunes fix is great for me. thanks

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
brilliant thanks that sounds pretty easy - but i'm not sure what you mean by NAS, sorry. also would the files be accessible by both computers when not near the network (pretty sure answer is yes but am new to sharing over network - thats why the itunes fix is great for me. thanks

The files are only accessible away from the network if stored on your computer. iPhoto should be able to grab the pics and keep them on your computer. I'm not sure how picassa deals with pictures.

Sorry about NAS.
See
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154336
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136346
No experience with either one and there are many others, but this gives you an idea. Just put it on your network and login to it. Some allow you to login over the internet (with some additional setup) so you could get to everything from any computer.

Mcbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
thank you all for your help - i have set up a folder in our shared folder for 'new photos that need sorting' that we will both put uploaded photos into - i will then sort them from there. thanks again!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.