Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweattings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2022
Hey guys, I have a "new" MacBook Pro 16" 2021 with the 140 Watts power adapter. For the first two Day no Problems at all, but now when i got Home yesterday I noticed the mac doing the charging chime very few seconds. Didn't think much about it. But now the mac won't charge at all. Only flashing amber, no chime at all. But When using the 140 W Power brick a using a USB-C to USB-C it charges Normal, is there anything I can do with the cable or are there any workarounds.

Thank you all for the Help

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
You tried turning off the macbook with it unplugged then booting it back up and trying again with the magsafe cable?

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
This computer could still be in warranty? If yes, Apple is where to go.
I had similar "chime and chime again" just few days ago and it turned out to be power supply, which was tripping internal protection. Looks like the MagSafe was asking for too much power. This was 100W generic power supply, not original. USB-C cable worked - best guess is that MagSafe tried to take over 100W the supply could provide while USB-C figured out to limit drain to 100W. I would not expect this to happen with original 140W power supply, but who knows?
My older MBP at one point had damaged USB-C charging chips and I had to replace the mainboard. It is possible the charging chip associated with MagSafe is bad, while those for USB-C are fine. Note, that in this case I have seen first only one USB-C port go bad (stop charging), but others followed in few days. This was 2017 MBP with 4 USB-C ports, so I had enough time to backup the data, which is always critically important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.