Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
Hi there, obviously there are a thousand bags out there, but i’m after some advice from others who have travelled to the bush and back.

First off i’ll list my equipment I want to carry on my person at any one time. Simply a 5D with a wide angle prime lens and a zoom plus a 580ex and a tripod. That plus a gps, mobile phone and a notebook should be what I would carry on day trips.

SImple no? Of course I carry a lot of other kit including laptop, portable HD, 4 other lenses and an extra flash and tripod. Luckily I don’t feel compelled to carry all that on my person at any one time. However, as this will be my carry-on luggage as well I need to be able to cram a mbp in with the camera and two lenses I can't live without. The other stuff is somewhat disposable and will travel in my regular pack.

I will be travelling to the asian and african third world on a 12 month expedition. Sounds great, I just want to do my best to be inconspicuous. At least as much as realistically possible. This doesn't mean I plan to be invisible, it's carrying a bag that says lowepro, is black and rectangular and shouts $$$$

There are essentially two contenders. The billingham bags seem sturdy and don't look like camera bags. on the other hand they look like i'm safari with my elephant gun...

The choice I prefer are the Domke khaki reporter satchel. But I can't see one in person in australia and i can't for the life of me find a source that will tell me if they have a satchel that will fit my stuff.

Thoughts appreciated. cheers

avincent52

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
The Domke stuff is absolutely great--I've got two Domke shooters bags that are 25 years old and they look better than new. They're also surprisingly waterproof.
As to which Domke, I guess I'd send an e-mail to http://www.bhphotovideo.com, and ask them specifically which bag will fit what you need. They carry the full line.
best
Allen

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I got a Domke bag with a rental from Calumet once. I ended up buying one. By far the best bag I've owned. Conforms nicely to your body instead of being a brick when you start removing items.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Just for the Camera & 70-200mm lens i use a Lowpro 75 toploader, they are qsimple and 'cheapish' pockets for spare batteries & cards. Lowpro are ok. ;)

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
I just got my Lowepro Slingshot 300 in the mail. Honestly, it's nice but it is way too big for my needs. I wish I had gotten the 200.

cnealuk

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2006
Have you considered the National Geographic range of bags? They have a 3 sizes of backpacks, all with modular camera sections, but look just like old school explorer rucksacks with room for extra stuff. Am seriously considering one myself.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Tamrac Expedition Series are somewhat heavy, but carry well as a carry-on while traveling.

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_exp.htm

I got the Expedition 5 to make sure it would be able to travel with me without any hassles, but given that most carry-on luggage is larger than the 7, that might be the better choice in that it holds more and balances better on my back. The 5 works better for people shorter than 5'3" or so.

Durable and I believe water resistant. VERY well made though a bit heavy. Still, lighter than my old Pelican cases.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
thanks for all the replies. i bought a billingham 550.

Joy be to me.

deweyjacobs

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
Camera Bags

All things DOMKE

Check ebay from time to time - search domke

I bought another DOMKE khaki (Ihave three) a couple of months ago for $15.00

Used - It was in fine shape when I got it and I threw it in the washing machine . . .

GREAT Bags and shooting jackets . . . will last a lifetime . . .

Dewey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.