Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I'm currently using a Galaxy S6, and it's driving me mad. Not to get too much into it, but I know for a fact that getting an iPhone would solve the specific problems i have, because I'm currently using my sister's old 6 with a borked glass. (She drops stuff. As do I.)
Anyway, the plan has been to replace the entire front assembly and pay her a bit so I can keep the phone. But this is the new plan. The old plan was to get an iPhone SE. In fact, I ordered one before I knew my sister had an old phone, but it arrived AFTER, so it's still in the unopened box.

Bottom line: I will be getting an iPhone soon, september at the latest, and I will be selling my Galaxy S6. So I just need help picking between these alternatives:

1. Keep the iPhone 6. When the screen is fixed it will work fine, and I am more than satisfied with how it looks. (gold). Main benefit: costs me a LOT less.
2. iPhone SE. While the size isn't a huge thing for me, I do like carrying smaller things in my pockets. Main benefit: Size.
3. iPhone 7, which I suspect won't be called iPhone 7. Main benefit: as yet unknown. Possibly the uneffable joy of "the newest model"?

Note that 6s or plus models are not on the list, but that doesn't mean much. These are just what I'm thinking about right now. I hear the 7 plus might get two cameras. No idea why, but I do take a lot of pictures with my phone (I am a dog person) so that might actually convince me it this is used cleverly to make it possible to take better pictures. (Unlike the HTC Sense 8, which had two cameras and couldn't take a decent picture with either.)

Anyway, the cost is obviously a big factor, but I'd like to know what differences people have seen when going from an iPhone 6 to an SE.
I know about the size and screen from having tried my sisters phone, so it's more the experience I'm looking for insight about. They say it's faster, but I don't see the 6 as slow at all... But then I've only used 8gb of the storage and I've only had it for a few days, so it might get bogged down.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm currently using a Galaxy S6, and it's driving me mad. Not to get too much into it, but I know for a fact that getting an iPhone would solve the specific problems i have, because I'm currently using my sister's old 6 with a borked glass. (She drops stuff. As do I.)
Anyway, the plan has been to replace the entire front assembly and pay her a bit so I can keep the phone. But this is the new plan. The old plan was to get an iPhone SE. In fact, I ordered one before I knew my sister had an old phone, but it arrived AFTER, so it's still in the unopened box.

Bottom line: I will be getting an iPhone soon, september at the latest, and I will be selling my Galaxy S6. So I just need help picking between these alternatives:

1. Keep the iPhone 6. When the screen is fixed it will work fine, and I am more than satisfied with how it looks. (gold). Main benefit: costs me a LOT less.
2. iPhone SE. While the size isn't a huge thing for me, I do like carrying smaller things in my pockets. Main benefit: Size.
3. iPhone 7, which I suspect won't be called iPhone 7. Main benefit: as yet unknown. Possibly the uneffable joy of "the newest model"?

Note that 6s or plus models are not on the list, but that doesn't mean much. These are just what I'm thinking about right now. I hear the 7 plus might get two cameras. No idea why, but I do take a lot of pictures with my phone (I am a dog person) so that might actually convince me it this is used cleverly to make it possible to take better pictures. (Unlike the HTC Sense 8, which had two cameras and couldn't take a decent picture with either.)

Anyway, the cost is obviously a big factor, but I'd like to know what differences people have seen when going from an iPhone 6 to an SE.
I know about the size and screen from having tried my sisters phone, so it's more the experience I'm looking for insight about. They say it's faster, but I don't see the 6 as slow at all... But then I've only used 8gb of the storage and I've only had it for a few days, so it might get bogged down.

We still have over a month to go before the unveiling...don't you have a more limited return window?

Suggest you go to a store (or Bestbuy etc) to test-drive the 6s while waiting till the announcement.

The FFC upgrade and force-touch are the two biggest lacks with the SE. But the smaller size and one-handed use are also big and one of the reasons why some have gone back to the 4" screen.

The SE has 2gb RAM just like the 4.7 and 5.5" models.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I have no return window, I have to sell it to someone else. But I'll take the hit.
FFC: Front facing camera? Not a huge problem, I mostly take pictures of the dog looking cute.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I have no return window, I have to sell it to someone else. But I'll take the hit.
FFC: Front facing camera? Not a huge problem, I mostly take pictures of the dog looking cute.

Then is really all about the force-touch and the slightly better screen then as the SE has the same (rear) camera as the 6s.

I really don't use the force-touch much on my 6s, but the coming ios10 will make more use of it. Suggest you wait till annoucement and test-drive both.

The SE at $200 less doesn't hurt either though. I might have bought it if it had been released last Sept.

Edit: looking back at what you wrote, the 6s and later are out because of budget? If so, then the SE wins hands-down. Don't buy the 16gb model though...esp if you like taking pics of your dog.
/ grin/

Last edited:

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
6s and later aren't out at all, but why would I buy a 6s a month before the 7 is out.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
6s and later aren't out at all, but why would I buy a 6s a month before the 7 is out.

Don't forgot the 6s will drop by $100 once the new phone is released, not to mention if the 3.5" jack really is gone... if that is a factor for you.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
For me, I'd save up and get next year's phone instead of this year's model.

So between the 6 & the SE, it really comes down to size then. What's more important to you:
  • Smaller form factor that is easier to hold and fits into pockets better, but sacrifices screen real estate/readability? Use the SE.
  • Larger form factor for better viewing but sacrifices holdability and portability? Use the 6.
My guess is that if you're currently using the S6, the SE's screen size is going to be too small to enjoy.

Last edited:

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
hmm... Yeah...
I can say I don't mind having either the s6 or the iphone 6 in the pocket, and while the screen of the S6 is much better, the bugs are so annoying I'm more than happy to trade...
Looks like I should be selling my SE either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.