Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which configuration should I go?

• 2020 iMac + Studio Display

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Studio Display + M2 MacBook Air

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

iOStim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hi, I need some help in making a choice please! Apologies for the lengthy post.

I currently have a 27" Retina iMac (Late 2014 - 4.0GHz Quad-Core i7, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB, 512GB Storage) and a 15" MacBook Pro (Mid 2014, 2.2GHz Quad-Core i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro 1536MB Graphics, 512GB Storage).

For my needs the iMac has been great and has served me well for 7 years (bought early-mid 2015). I mostly use it for design work in Figma/Sketch, and some light video editing/photo manipulation. I have noticed that over the last year or two, the iMac has been struggling a bit under load. For work, when on a Zoom/Teams call, I'll typically have to screen share and show work in progress. This load is sometimes too much - fans spin up (have cleaned fans), and some times the machine freezes/blacks out/resets which is not ideal when on calls.

This machine is no longer receiving updates, 11.6.8 (Big Sur) was the end of the road. Because of the OS version, I cannot get the latest versions of xCode to target anything more than iOS 14, which is a shame as I would like to do some iOS programming in xCode. Although the machine still works well most of the time, it may be time for an upgrade.

The MacBook Pro is still ok as it doesn't take as much of a demanding workload. It's battery is waning though, and it is similar in that 11.6.8 is the end of the road.

So I saw and am considering upgrading the iMac to new 27" Retina iMac (2020 - 3.8GHz 8-Core i7, 8GB RAM (will upgrade RAM personally to 64GB for $390), AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory, and 512GB Storage). This is one of the higher configurations that retailed for about $3,500 here in Aus. I am only considering this as it was discontinued and is on clearance. The sale price is $2,200, which makes for very good value in my opinion. With the 64GB RAM upgrade I'd be looking at $2600.

I was set on this option and to use this machine as my primary machine, but then I got a new job with a company that will supply a laptop (probably a 2018-2022 MacBook Pro 13/14/15/16") and I must work from this machine/can't work from the iMac. 3-4 days a week I'll be working from home, and a large part of my work is design work. As they are supplying only a laptop, I have been thinking about the Studio Display as an external monitor.

So if I had the iMac and the Studio Display that's two big displays on my desk. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I wondered if it may make more sense to get a Studio Display, and a new personal laptop for myself instead of the iMac.

So the two competing options would be
  1. 2020 iMac + Studio Display (no new personal laptop) or
  2. Studio Display + M2 MacBook Air.
For the Laptop, I was thinking about the M2 Air (8-core CPU, 10-core GPU, 1TB SSD, 24GB RAM), and wondered if it'd be ok for my workload - design work, xCode, light video editing. I really wouldn't want to buy a MacBook Pro right now as I'd prefer to hold out til the M2 series Pro's arrive if spending that kind of money, whether that be later this year or into early next year. I would also consider a rumoured 15" MacBook Air with a high spec M2 Pro if that eventuates, but that would be next year.

Prices ($AUD)
  • iMac 27 -$2200 + RAM Upgrade ($400) = $2600
  • Studio Display = $2500
  • MBA 13” M2, max spec = $3250
  • MBP 14” M1 mid spec = $5250

I've tried to summarise some of the Advantages and Disadvantages of each of the options.

Option 1: 2020 iMac + Studio Display

Total $5100

For
  • Cheaper option
  • Equivalent powerful desktop workstation? (8 core i7, 8GB Graphics, 64GB Ram)
  • Allows me to hold off buying new personal laptop until new ones arrive (MacBook Pros with M2 late 22 or MacBook Air 15” in mid 23
  • Studio Display for day job
Against
  • Intel based iMac
  • Old hardware
  • Unknown number of years of continued software support expected for the iMac (3-4 more?)
  • Two large monitors on desk (can sell Studio Display if/when no longer needed)
  • Potentially two computers to manage files across (If/when I get another personal laptop)
  • Won’t have xCode capable personal laptop (still have MBP that could use for now)

Option 2: Studio Display + M2 MacBook Air

Total $5750

For
  • Apple Silicon Mac
  • New hardware
  • Support for 5+ years
  • Laptop and Desktop setup with one computer
  • Single display on the desk, used for both personal and business Laptops
  • Single machine to manage files on (laptop)

Against
  • More expensive option
  • Less powerful desktop setup using maxed out M2 MacBook Air 13” (?) .
  • Will possibly require upgrade again to MacBook Pro M2 or 15” MacBook Air M2 Pro if the 13” Air cannot handle my workloads.

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
I woldnt buy one of the last intel macs, maybe install open core on your imac and monteray?
The Air with m2/ max the ram to 24 gb seems like a good option

Reactions: Misheemee

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
The M2 Air + Studio display will give you the portability when you need it plus a desktop experience when you need it and will allow you to trade your existing two-computer solution for a one-computer solution that meets all your needs.

You will still retain your ability to use the external keyboard, mouse or trackpad you have been using with your iMac in order to retain the desktop-like experience. The downside is there's no way to boot into an Mx Macbook with the lid closed, so it's a bit more fiddly to achieve that instant desktop experience from a cold boot than it would be with an iMac. But I feel that's cancelled out by the convenience of having all your future eggs in one basket.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I’d also pick the laptop and display solution, however personally I’d not buy a studio display at those prices, the value is just not there for me. The monitor market has plenty additional offerings that would suit me more.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I was in a similar position to you when Apple Released the M1 14" and 16" MBP. At the time I had a M1 MBA and the same iMac as yourself. I needed a laptop with a larger screen so opted for the mid spec 16" MBP ( M1 Pro with 16GB Ram and 1TB SSD). My plan at the time was to get a M1 Max 27" iMac for video / photo work. That plan fell apart when Apple released the Studio....

I have some large photo and video libraries attached to the iMac. What I now wish I had done, had I known what Apple was going to do, would be to have bought the 16" M1 Max with 32GB and 2TB of SSD. All my libraries would have then fitted on that SSD, bought a Studio Display. The performance of the Mac Studio Max and the MBP Max are pretty similar and I would have simplified my setup.

As the current Mac Book Pro's are so powerful I would suggest that approach to you. Once you start upping the spec on the M2 MBA it starts to get close to 14" MBP pricing, with the fan inside the MBP then I would be tempted to go this route rather than a M2 MBA. Given you only have light Video work I suggest you go with the M1 Pro rather than the Max, and put the money saved into extra RAM or SSD.

iOStim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The M2 Air + Studio display will give you the portability when you need it plus a desktop experience when you need it and will allow you to trade your existing two-computer solution for a one-computer solution that meets all your needs.

You will still retain your ability to use the external keyboard, mouse or trackpad you have been using with your iMac in order to retain the desktop-like experience. The downside is there's no way to boot into an Mx Macbook with the lid closed, so it's a bit more fiddly to achieve that instant desktop experience from a cold boot than it would be with an iMac. But I feel that's cancelled out by the convenience of having all your future eggs in one basket.
I think this is the way to go. Thanks for highlighting the downside. By that do you mean in practical terms that I'll need to open the lid of the MacBook Air to boot it when connected to the Studio Display as opposed to clicking on the keyboard/trackpad to wake? Or is that something else?

iOStim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I’d also pick the laptop and display solution, however personally I’d not buy a studio display at those prices, the value is just not there for me. The monitor market has plenty additional offerings that would suit me more.
They are quite expensive aren't they. It's essentially the same price as the fairly high spec'd 27" iMac, albeit without the functioning computer. If only the iMac could be used in Target Display mode..

iOStim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I was in a similar position to you when Apple Released the M1 14" and 16" MBP. At the time I had a M1 MBA and the same iMac as yourself. I needed a laptop with a larger screen so opted for the mid spec 16" MBP ( M1 Pro with 16GB Ram and 1TB SSD). My plan at the time was to get a M1 Max 27" iMac for video / photo work. That plan fell apart when Apple released the Studio....

I have some large photo and video libraries attached to the iMac. What I now wish I had done, had I known what Apple was going to do, would be to have bought the 16" M1 Max with 32GB and 2TB of SSD. All my libraries would have then fitted on that SSD, bought a Studio Display. The performance of the Mac Studio Max and the MBP Max are pretty similar and I would have simplified my setup.

As the current Mac Book Pro's are so powerful I would suggest that approach to you. Once you start upping the spec on the M2 MBA it starts to get close to 14" MBP pricing, with the fan inside the MBP then I would be tempted to go this route rather than a M2 MBA. Given you only have light Video work I suggest you go with the M1 Pro rather than the Max, and put the money saved into extra RAM or SSD.
Thanks for your tip. I'm sure that your 16" Pro would still be a good pair with the Studio Display even though it has a smaller SSD/RAM than you would have ideally gotten. I'd really consider going down the MBP route, I just feel that given the M2 Air's recent release, it is inevitable that the Pro lineup won't be too far off - maybe later this year, maybe early next year. If I am spending on MBP I'd prefer to hold out until the M2 series in order to maximise the longevity of hardware and software support!

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I think this is the way to go. Thanks for highlighting the downside. By that do you mean in practical terms that I'll need to open the lid of the MacBook Air to boot it when connected to the Studio Display as opposed to clicking on the keyboard/trackpad to wake? Or is that something else?
Not sure about wake from sleep, I don't use sleep, in the past it's caused too many problems connecting to my gear, but yes probably.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
They are quite expensive aren't they. It's essentially the same price as the fairly high spec'd 27" iMac, albeit without the functioning computer. If only the iMac could be used in Target Display mode..
True, target display mode is surely missed on these things. On the other hand, I happen to have an iMac that still has that function and it's always been a tad wonky at best.
Personally, I'm currently using a 14" MBP M1 16/512 for work with two less expensive displays attached, and both of those on monitor arms to get to the height I need them to be at. Not as pretty but sure as hell super fast and functional. But hey - life is short, treat yourself!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Thanks for your tip. I'm sure that your 16" Pro would still be a good pair with the Studio Display even though it has a smaller SSD/RAM than you would have ideally gotten. I'd really consider going down the MBP route, I just feel that given the M2 Air's recent release, it is inevitable that the Pro lineup won't be too far off - maybe later this year, maybe early next year. If I am spending on MBP I'd prefer to hold out until the M2 series in order to maximise the longevity of hardware and software support!

I bought a Studio Display when they came out. I will probably invest in a Mac Studio, as my Photo and Music Library are too large to fit on the 16" MBP that I bought. I don't want to carry an external drive round with me.

Mactech20

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2021
I know you said you didn't want to get the Macbook Pro m1 but I definitely would over the air. Even light video editing and the thing could bottleneck. That would be completely avoided by spending a minimal amount more and getting a 14 pro. M2 architechture is not a huge jump from M1 by any respects and M1 will be supported for years to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.