Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Please help me choose between the following 3 ultra compact point n shooters:

1) Fujifilm Z5FD

2) Sony T50

3) Casio s770

That is my shortlist, and I just cannot decide - I like all 3!! lol..

Currently, my ultracompact is a Fujifilm Z1 with a 1GB xD card.
Now, it is ok, but quite a few times, I have had read errors from the card causing me to lose photo's/video's. I dont know if that is down to the card or the camera.

I know the sony would be most expensive and as I would have to buy it's own memory sticks etc..

I already have lots of SD cards to use for the casio, so thats no biggie, and I';m assuming going the SD route would also help fo future purchases, as SD is the most popular form,at, so wouldn't need lots of different types of memory cards hanging around.

Actually, price isn't really the problem, it's which is best for the money.

I take pics and also a lot of mini video clips, so both are important.

If anyone has any further suggestions to complicate matters, please add them to the mix :)

Thank you for your help!

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
Echange the T50 and Casio S770 for the Canon SD800 IS. Not only does it have a better lens and therefore better image quality, it also offers a more wide angle view and has image stabilization. And it uses SD cards too. And it has a better software package for the mac.

Then choose between the Z5fd (better at high ISO settings) and the SD800 IS (better lens, better image quality at lower ISO settings, IS, wide angle, SD).

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Echange the T50 and Casio S770 for the Canon SD800 IS. Not only does it have a better lens and therefore better image quality, it also offers a more wide angle view and has image stabilization. And it uses SD cards too. And it has a better software package for the mac.

Then choose between the Z5fd (better at high ISO settings) and the SD800 IS (better lens, better image quality at lower ISO settings, IS, wide angle, SD).

I 2nd the recommendation for the SD800IS. I got one just before Christmas and I'm very pleased with it. :D

ltud

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
I second that! The SD800IS is a great camera, I just lost $300 selling my 6 month old Pentax T10 (3 inch touch screen) so that I can buy the SD800IS.

It's the most responsive compact I've ever used. It also has high ISO settings, and a kick ass face detection system that will focus and expose for up to nine faces at once - even if they're off center.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'd either choose the Sony. :) Actually, depending on the size of the SD cards you own, I would consider the Casio a bit more closely. All my friends who have Casio point and shoots are happy with their cameras. :) I can say the same thing about Sony, but I don't like memory sticks.

I'd recommend to you what I own as well, but lets face it.....most people would just recommend what they have if they're happy with it, or maybe something that they want themselves. ;) I don't think there are a lot of p&s cameras today that are completely unusable and take horrid photos.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I just got my wife the Casio EX 2700 for Christmas. This is an absolutely stunning camera with an amazingly bright, huge screen. The pictures look great, too.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Impossible. It has an inferior lens to the one in the Canon SD800IS, and performs worse at high ISO.

Tell your wife to take that thing back. Despite the great photos and the happy feeling of owning something she likes, take it back.

and in case you're American: [/sarcasm]

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Tell your wife to take that thing back. Despite the great photos and the happy feeling of owning something she likes, take it back.

Heh. Yeah, Point n shoot cameras are really more about that "happy feeling" than about particular features. Plus the "wow" factor when showing it off to your friends.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
grrr..

so i placed my order for the canon 850is, and just got email this morning to say there is no stock as model has ben discontinued by supplier!!! bummer..

called a few other places to and they dont have stock either (but no mention of discontinuation - just backorder) :(

does anyone know if this camera has been discontinued? i thought it was only announced in like Q4 2006?

i can't find any info about any successor model being announced at CES either..

anyone know of a place online (uk) that has it in stock please?

thanks

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Personally I love my little T50. The touch interface is a wow feature, as the ability to draw or annotate on pictures. Fantastic for a night out or having on you for spur of the moment shots.

Nice compliment to my D70s.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Personally I love my little T50. The touch interface is a wow feature, as the ability to draw or annotate on pictures. Fantastic for a night out or having on you for spur of the moment shots.

Nice compliment to my D70s.

yo yo .. fancy meeting you in a forum on a keynote day? :D i guess we'll be talking again on some shipping thread soon :p lol!!

anyway.. i decided against the T50 as it ties me down to sony memory card format.. i think SD is the best way to go (imo).. as you can still use the media if you change to another brand of camera..

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
yo yo .. fancy meeting you in a forum on a keynote day? :D i guess we'll be talking again on some shipping thread soon :p lol!!

anyway.. i decided against the T50 as it ties me down to sony memory card format.. i think SD is the best way to go (imo).. as you can still use the media if you change to another brand of camera..

Funny that ain't it? ;)

You're right about the Sony - but I've had Sony compacts starting with the T7, so have MS Pro Duo's to hand. No great shakes. Saying that, I probably have more spare SD cards, which have only just found homes in a DAB tuner and my Wii...

Lets see who gets their new toys quickest after today then? :D

(That'll be you. Again.)

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Funny that ain't it? ;)

You're right about the Sony - but I've had Sony compacts starting with the T7, so have MS Pro Duo's to hand. No great shakes. Saying that, I probably have more spare SD cards, which have only just found homes in a DAB tuner and my Wii...

Lets see who gets their new toys quickest after today then? :D

(That'll be you. Again.)

u finally got your wii? lol!! b4 or after xmas?

i'm not sure about today.. i wont be straight onto an iPhone (or whatever its called) as i'm still on my contract with 3..

i'll be interested in the iTV and widescreen ipod video tho.. definately.. can finally catch up on tv at the gym instead of watching the trash they have on (sky sports news, mtv, corrie!!!)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Resurrecting the thread to incorporate many new cameras announced since.

Ever since I got Digital Rebel XTi with several lenses, my wife has been bugging me for a new camera of her own. I got spoiled by XTi so I am looking at high-end ultra compact for my wife. My criteria: (1) f/2.8 at the widest focal length, (2) 2 stops or better optical image stabilizer, (3) clean and detailed image up to ISO 200 and usable up to ISO 400, (4) high resolution LCD (2.5" at 200,000 pixels or better), (5) at least 200 shots battery capacity, and (6) optional underwater case. Ideal but not mandatory are (1) wide angle lens and (2) SD memory card.

Some of the new ultra compacts that come close to meeting my requirement:

Nikon Coolpix S50: f/3.3-4.2 38-114mm lens, OIS, 0.4" 7.4 MP CCD, auto focus with face detection, 3" 230K LCD, 130-shot battery, SDHC, 3.5" x 2.0" x 0.9"

Nikon Coolpix S500: f/2.8-4.7 35-105mm lens, OIS, 0.4" 7.4 MP CCD, auto focus with face detection, 2.5" 230K LCD, 180-shot battery, SDHC, 3.5" x 2.0" x 0.9"

Pentax Optio A30: f/2.8-5.4 38-114mm lens, CCD image stabilizer, 0.56" 10 MP CCD, 5-point auto focus, 2.5" 232K LCD, 150-shot battery, SDHC, 3.5" x 2.3" x 0.9"

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W200: f/2.8-5.5 35-105mm lens, OIS, 0.56" 12.1 MP CCD, 9-point auto focus with face detection, 2.5" 115K LCD, 270-shot battery, Memory Stick Duo, 3.6" x 2.3" x 1.1"

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T100: f/3.5-4.4 35-175mm lens, OIS, 0.4" 7.2 MP CCD, 9-point auto focus with face detection, 3.5" LCD 230K LCD, 340-shot battery, Memory Stick Duo, 3.6" x 2.3" x 0.9"

As you can see, all bring some compromises (for me anyway). Camera to beat is still Canon SD800 IS: f/2.8-5.8 28-105mm lens, OIS, 0.4" 7.1MP CCD, 9-point auto focus with face detection, 2.5" 207K LCD, 270-shot battery, SDHC, 3.5" x 2.3" x 1.0"

Unfortunately, I really don't like corner softness of SD800. My previous experience testing Nikon Coolpix S7c was also disappointing (also soft images, and considerably less positive than SD800).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.