Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telf22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Hey guys,

i've been waiting to purchase my first dSLR for awhile as i wanting to see what canon and nikon would introduce. i am thinking about getting either the canon rebel xsi, nikon d40x, or the nikon d60. i've always used canon compact p&s cameras and have never used a nikon long term, only at the stores. i like the d60 but it seems that it doesnt offer much more over the d40x, is this true? also, is the xsi worth getting over the xti, because it seems quite alot more expensive?

thx in advance :)

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
There are 837 threads with this question...

A forum search will yield a LOT of helpful insight to making a buying choice.

Or we could be nice and answer his question. (sorry, I hate these "search first" responses...as if it actually causes pain to the regulars to see the same topic again).

As starter DSLR's all the cameras you mention would perform quite well. There are certainly differences between them but I would focus more on selecting your preference for Canon vs. Nikon (vs. Pentax vs. Sony, etc.) first. Look at your budget for lenses and learn more about the glass available. Which lenses will best suit what kind of stuff you hope to shoot? Which line offers those lenses at a price and performance you can deal with?

I'd also recommend getting a feel for the cameras -literally. Go to a local shop and hold them. Get an idea which models offer control surfaces you find most intuitive. Learn which you find most comfortable.

At this stage I wouldn't really get too concerned with some of the more technical stuff. The important thing isn't which brand you buy it's that you buy a DSLR with the lens options which best suits you and the enough comfort to make you want to keep using it.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I bet you can't find one that compares the XSi, XTi, D40x, and D60.

Especially that the news about the D60 just came out in the last 2 days. I hate when people say "search" - if you can't or don't want to answer the question, please ignore the thread.

On topic, it's hard to answer the D60 vs D40x question with authority, since the D60 is not out in retail as yet, and only once you do a head to head comparison can you answer the question. That said, the good folks at dpreview seem to think the differences are somewhat small and ultimately inconsequential, FWIW:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012911nikond601st.asp

"We've had a little bit of a chance to play around with and handle the Nikon's latest digital SLR, the D60. Here we line it up against the camera we suspect it replaces: the D40X and see what Nikon has done to refresh one of its recent successes.

The differences between the two models is, to say the least, subtle. The D60 shares its body with the D40X and most of their specifications are identical."

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
You can't beat the K10D's features for its price now that the K20D is out.
Linkety

Plus, there is plenty of amazing Pentax glass out there; not an every-lens-possible world like Canon or Nikon, but the DA* series are beautiful pieces of glass...

telf22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
thx for helping guys :) (i searched but couldnt find anything that answered my questions before posting this)

i guess because i dont have a d40x already that if i got a d60 it wouldnt feel like a waste of money, same for the canon xti and xsi. i guess i will just wait like suggested and try them in-hand.

thx guys

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
dpreview is great for reviews. holding the cameras in your hands and getting a feel for them is essential. I couldn't handle the ergonomics of the Rebel XT and was about to give up on Canon and go with Nikon until I got my hands on a Rebel XTi, which I thought was significantly improved. Also think out a long term plan before buying, especially with lenses. Look at the lens lineup available for the camera and see if there are lenses available for one camera that aren't for another that really impress you. For the most part, there are great lenses for all cameras and great third party lenses available for all the major cameras, but there may be a lens or two that stand out. For example:

Nikon makes the only VR Macro lens, but it has nothing to compete directly with Canon's 24-105 f/4 IS lens.

telf22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
dpreview is great for reviews. holding the cameras in your hands and getting a feel for them is essential. I couldn't handle the ergonomics of the Rebel XT and was about to give up on Canon and go with Nikon until I got my hands on a Rebel XTi, which I thought was significantly improved. Also think out a long term plan before buying, especially with lenses. Look at the lens lineup available for the camera and see if there are lenses available for one camera that aren't for another that really impress you. For the most part, there are great lenses for all cameras and great third party lenses available for all the major cameras, but there may be a lens or two that stand out. For example:

Nikon makes the only VR Macro lens, but it has nothing to compete directly with Canon's 24-105 f/4 IS lens.

yeh, thx for that website, its really REALLY helpful. it says that the d60 is smaller than the d40x which is interesting, not sure if thats a good thing or not. i havent really looked into lenses yet, i was planning on using just the kit lens for awhile until i have gotten used to the camera but yeh, coz i want to use it for a long time i guess the lens lineup is important.

mattwe

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
telf:

I was in a similar position pre-X-mas and here is how I decided and why - note, I have little DSLR experience, but very recent DSLR shopping experience (just a disclaimer).

I was looking at getting a D40/D70 or a used D80 if I could find one cheap enough (I would group all of those together as 'Nikon') OR a Pentax K10D. The Canon's were not in my equation because I didn't like how they 'felt.' If you go and handle the D40, K10, and 20D you can see the differences in body layout and design. Don't underestimate how important this is. Step one for you, go hold the different cameras you are considering.

I ended up getting the K10D. I would have been just as happy (IMHO) with a Nikon.

The pluses for the Nikon are mostly related to brand name. You can be sure Nikon isn't going out of business, they aren't going to stop making digital camera bodies, they aren't going to stop making lenses. Of course, it is unlikely that Pentax will stop either, but it is worth considering. If you have Nikon lenses already, then it would be a no-brainer. Read Thom Hogan's reviews of all the Nikon products - he seems to be "the guy" in a lot of ways and when I was doing research he seemed pretty unbiased: http://bythom.com/

The pluses for the Pentax were numerous. Weather sealed body was the main one for me - we do a lot of hiking/camping/skiing/etc. and having that extra bit of protection for the innards of the camera is nice. The K10D has a more megapixels (this did not make or break the deal for me - worth mentioning, though) than the D40/70. The K10D has in-body image stabilization (not as good as the in-lens on the Nikon, but it works on every lens that you put on it). The K10D works with (almost) every lens that Pentax has ever made - see a pentax lens at a yard sale? Pick it up, you can almost definitely use it. That gives the K10D a huge lens selection (although some will be partially or totally manual).

Ultimately, even with all of the technical advantages, I was still back and forth over the D70 or the K10D. Ultimately my wife got me the K10D. I had already decided it was what I was going to get, though, because of a Thom Hogan review of the D80 - he said that if he was starting from scratch now, he would by the K10D. To me, that was quite a ringing endorsement.

More than my .02, but I hope it helps.

/matt

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
When I was in the same boat I was told to nip down to the camera shop and actually test them out and go with the one that feels most right in your hands. I ended up with a Canon 350D (XT) and now have a 5D and 20D.

telf22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
telf:

I was in a similar position pre-X-mas and here is how I decided and why - note, I have little DSLR experience, but very recent DSLR shopping experience (just a disclaimer).

I was looking at getting a D40/D70 or a used D80 if I could find one cheap enough (I would group all of those together as 'Nikon') OR a Pentax K10D. The Canon's were not in my equation because I didn't like how they 'felt.' If you go and handle the D40, K10, and 20D you can see the differences in body layout and design. Don't underestimate how important this is. Step one for you, go hold the different cameras you are considering.

I ended up getting the K10D. I would have been just as happy (IMHO) with a Nikon.

The pluses for the Nikon are mostly related to brand name. You can be sure Nikon isn't going out of business, they aren't going to stop making digital camera bodies, they aren't going to stop making lenses. Of course, it is unlikely that Pentax will stop either, but it is worth considering. If you have Nikon lenses already, then it would be a no-brainer. Read Thom Hogan's reviews of all the Nikon products - he seems to be "the guy" in a lot of ways and when I was doing research he seemed pretty unbiased: http://bythom.com/

The pluses for the Pentax were numerous. Weather sealed body was the main one for me - we do a lot of hiking/camping/skiing/etc. and having that extra bit of protection for the innards of the camera is nice. The K10D has a more megapixels (this did not make or break the deal for me - worth mentioning, though) than the D40/70. The K10D has in-body image stabilization (not as good as the in-lens on the Nikon, but it works on every lens that you put on it). The K10D works with (almost) every lens that Pentax has ever made - see a pentax lens at a yard sale? Pick it up, you can almost definitely use it. That gives the K10D a huge lens selection (although some will be partially or totally manual).

Ultimately, even with all of the technical advantages, I was still back and forth over the D70 or the K10D. Ultimately my wife got me the K10D. I had already decided it was what I was going to get, though, because of a Thom Hogan review of the D80 - he said that if he was starting from scratch now, he would by the K10D. To me, that was quite a ringing endorsement.

More than my .02, but I hope it helps.

/matt

I dont really know much about the Pentax but yesterday i was in B&H checking cameras out and it did feel very nice, durable, etc. I do agree that for me, the Xti was a little odd to hold, im interested to see how the new Xsi compares in-hand. If the new Xsi doesnt feel or handle (button location also) too well i will probably lean towards the Pentax.

After reading more about the D60, it doesnt seem that 'new', the canon and pentax seem like they have better/newer technology but then again, im not too sure about the pentax; but i think thats just because i've only ever thought of nikons and canons for dSLR's.

Thx for helping

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
I think I have narrowed it down to Nikon, but I'm in a similar situation trying to decide between the D40 or the new D60. At this point I think I'm leaning towards the D40 for price point and flexibilty. Since I'm new, I don't have a bunch of old lenses to worry about. I'll probably just get the D40 and an 18-200mm AFS VR lense becasue it seems so flexible and easy to use. Then if I want to upgrade the body later I can and keep my lense.

Any thoughts?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey guys,

i've been waiting to purchase my first dSLR for awhile as i wanting to see what canon and nikon would introduce. i am thinking about getting either the canon rebel xsi, nikon d40x, or the nikon d60.

You are doing the same thing every beginner does. You are looking the at DSLR bodies. You are not buying a body you are buying an "SLR System". One part of that system is a DSLR body. The other part, the part that really matters is the set of lenses you will end up with. These you will keep for many years. You will upgrade and replace the body several times over the life of the SLR System.

Think of it an other way. If you show some one an image you took with a dslr, they would never be able to see by looking at the image if you used a D40, D80 or D300 but a 50mm f/1.4 lens can make a dramatically different image from a 18-55 zoom. (not better/worse, "different") Lenses create images, bodies capture them and write them to memory cards. You need both to make a system.

So step back and look at what company make the parts you like. Look at the used markets too and think abot the SLR System you want to have in 1, 2 or 10 years. The "d40 vs. D6" question hardy matters

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.