Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OliveroNYC

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
NYC
In the past, I have always gone with max RAM and low storage. Too many tabs open on Chrome and Safari, some Photoshop, lots of Excel sheets.

With the M1 is 16GB needed or can I get away with 8GB?

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
16GB. Your memory is shared between normal operations and graphics. The is new "unified" memory. You may only need 8GB for the work you do, but you will likely appreciate the extra memory for the graphics to use.

Reactions: Natzoo and circatee

DanTat

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2020
i'm also debating the same thing. i like to browse with chrome with many tabs open at once and with my old mac with 8gb, it always showed memory pressure

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I haven't had a Mac with less than 16GB in 10 years. While some people claim that 8GB on the new M1 Macs is going to be enough and I really only plain on the Air being a light use machine, I don't "think" I am willing to take that chance.

On another note though - the 8GB versions (all of the non-custom versions in all colors) are available for same day pickup at my local Apple Store. With the extended return policy I am tempted to pick one up and see.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I got the 8GB, and from the amount of swap and cache I'll be returning for the 16GB. Not doing anything extremely intensive either.

sAvfJbq.png

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
I decided to get the base model and upgrade to a 16” with better specs once the redesign comes out, some time in 2022.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I got the 8GB, and from the amount of swap and cache I'll be returning for the 16GB. Not doing anything extremely intensive either.
Thanks for the screenshot. Why do you think more memory will be better given that memory pressure is extremely low?

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
i'm also debating the same thing. i like to browse with chrome with many tabs open at once and with my old mac with 8gb, it always showed memory pressure
How many tabs? I have 8GB on my 2019 MBA and have never seen significant memory pressure (it's always in the green or clear).

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Thanks for the screenshot. Why do you think more memory will be better given that memory pressure is extremely low?

Honestly, I’ve noticed a few instances of things being put in memory which result in a brief second of “pop-in” when I access it. The MBA is such a capable machine I really want to give it a bit more memory so that it can last for as many years as possible. It’s also a fairly reasonable cost if you look at the long term and remove he worry of potentially finding out one day that 8GB isn’t enough.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Honestly, I’ve noticed a few instances of things being put in memory which result in a brief second of “pop-in” when I access it. The MBA is such a capable machine I really want to give it a bit more memory so that it can last for as many years as possible. It’s also a fairly reasonable cost if you look at the long term and remove he worry of potentially finding out one day that 8GB isn’t enough.
I used to try to future proof (past owner of 2 MBPs with 16GB, a 2017 and a 2019). But my philosophy has since shifted to buy the cheapest based on what I need now and upgrade early and often. So I now own an 8GB MBA which I find plenty and I plan to upgrade to the Apple Silicon MBA shortly. There seem to be significant enough improvements every 2 years that future proofing is just not worth it. Also, interestingly, the only upgrade that affects trade in offer price is SSD size, processor and RAM upgrades net $0.

My thinking is that if 16GB were really needed for good performance, why would Apple not offer them in store rather than a CTO-only option.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA

sAvfJbq.png
I am more curious about the 'swap used'. What does that do exactly?
To me that is the only thing I would be concerned with, and thus want more memory...

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I am more curious about the 'swap used'. What does that do exactly?
To me that is the only thing I would be concerned with, and thus want more memory...
Swap Used: The amount of space being used on your startup disk to swap unused files to and from RAM.

If they have a ton of tabs open, it's likely that inactive ones are being held in swap space.

Reactions: circatee

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I used to try to future proof (past owner of 2 MBPs with 16GB, a 2017 and a 2019). But my philosophy has since shifted to buy the cheapest based on what I need now and upgrade early and often. So I now own an 8GB MBA which I find plenty and I plan to upgrade to the Apple Silicon MBA shortly. There seem to be significant enough improvements every 2 years that future proofing is just not worth it. Also, interestingly, the only upgrade that affects trade in offer price is SSD size, processor and RAM upgrades net $0.

My thinking is that if 16GB were really needed for good performance, why would Apple not offer them in store rather than a CTO-only option.
I’ve cancelled my order the 16GB.

I have been on the fence, I actually have the base MBA M1 and it breezes through my work. I think my mind set is still fixated on more memory will be better, and it may be, but it’s likely not perceived. The heaviest app I use is Lightroom CC and that is currently running pretty well under Rosetta 2. When I zoom in on a RAW file it takes a few seconds to resolve the detail. This will be fixed when it moves to native ASi in the next few weeks.

MS Teams isn’t native yet and is a bit of a resource hog, probably why they haven’t released a beta for it yet as its a bloated beast. Either way, things will only get better over time as apps are optimised. But right now, everything runs really well.

I’m just hoping when I add a 4K external monitor this doesn’t stress the vram and impact that buttery smoothness. I’ll find out soon enough.

Reactions: manuel.s90

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I’ve cancelled my order the 16GB.

I have been on the fence, I actually have the base MBA M1 and it breezes through my work. I think my mind set is still fixated on more memory will be better, and it may be, but it’s likely not perceived. The heaviest app I use is Lightroom CC and that is currently running pretty well under Rosetta 2. When I zoom in on a RAW file it takes a few seconds to resolve the detail. This will be fixed when it moves to native ASi in the next few weeks.

MS Teams isn’t native yet and is a bit of a resource hog, probably why they haven’t released a beta for it yet as its a bloated beast. Either way, things will only get better over time as apps are optimised. But right now, everything runs really well.

I’m just hoping when I add a 4K external monitor this doesn’t stress the vram and impact that buttery smoothness. I’ll find out soon enough.
Not sure if you are in the holiday return period, but if so, then you have plenty of time to make the decision.

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
Free RAM is wasted RAM.

You want the system to be allocating and using as much as possible. I'm a pretty heavy user, I have about 12 Chrome tabs open, Spotify in the background and a few pretty large Excel spreadsheets going as well and I'm having no issues with 8GB with my M1 Air.

The machine feels faster than my 32GB iMac Pro at home. For the vast majority of users 8GB is a solid choice, unless your running VMs or make use of Adobe apps in your workflow.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
So I picked up today the higher end base MBA - 8/8, 8 GB, 512 GB.

I can't get the memory pressure to go up. I just can't do it. To list my current situation:

Safari with 5 tabs open including YouTube
Chrome with YouTube open
3 instances of Citrix Workspace with my work apps open
Notes
Music
Podcasts
News
1PW
Excel
Apollo

And memory pressure is sitting chill at green and 40%. I can click through every application open on the dock, they all activate instantly.

I do have 2 GB out to swap. And some memory is compressed. But honestly I can't tell.

Really impressive TBH. And honestly when I'm trying for maximum performance and battery life I don't particularly mind if RAM management keeps purging stuff or swapping stuff out that doesn't need to be active. I think I can live with this for now (I'm too impatient to wait until mid December for a 16 gig RAM version lol).

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Just open XCode and a virtual Device and your getting some memory pressure + some chrome tabs. Im getting the 16/256 just for coding. Don't need Storage with icloud and external ssds.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
For the first time ever i ordered the base spec. (Air)
Lately i have only been using the Macbook for surfing/payments/taxes.

Will likely sell the iPad Pro (+Magickeyboard) and Macbook Pro afterwards.

Reactions: Skb3735

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
For the first time ever i ordered the base spec. (Air)
Lately i have only been using the Macbook for surfing/payments/taxes.

Will likely sell the iPad Pro (+Magickeyboard) and Macbook Pro afterwards.
Congrats. My wife and son use a Macbook Pro and getting my wife the new Air.

For myself, I just love the iPad Pro 12.9 with Magic Keyboard. When I use my wife’s pro, I am always trying to touch the screen. LOL.

I would get the Air if the Pro was not so good though. :)

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
I had the same question in June 2018 when purchasing my MacBook Pro 13". I ordered 16 GB, never looked back.

Reactions: Loog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.