Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I just started out and im really getting into all this. Ive been using my girlfriends d40 but I think I need to get a camera of my own so we arent fighting over who gets the camera for the day haha. Anyways Ive been looking around for the past week and checking them out in stores. I really like the feel of the canons compared to the nikons so I was thinking about getting one of those. The only problem Im having is Im not sure which one to get. I was looking at either the XSI, XTI, of XS. I know these are all different especially the XSI but I wasnt real sure of the difference in the XTI and the XS. I like to take HDR photos so if one would be more suitable for that it would be a plus also I like doing landscapes and panoramics. If anyone came give me some advice on this I would greatly appreciate it.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Should say more, but must run out the door.

If you're set on Canon...ahem...I would suggest looking for a used 40D...even a used 30D. It's a better long term investment imo.

S-Man

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Houston
I agree on the 30D or 40D. You can get a used 40D for around $600-$750 now. They're really dropping in price due to the 50D being out.
It is a better long-term investment than say an XTi or an XSi or whatever because if you really get into photography, you're going to outgrow that small camera quick. The XTi is a fine camera though and is a great learners tool that can still hold it's own in Image Quality.
I started with the XTi, but upgraded to the 5D MKI due to the superior low-light/high-ISO noise control of the 5D.
I hang out at http://www.Photography-On-The.net and they have a wealth of information on this subject. It's a Canon only forum.
Happy hunting.

Matiek

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
What sort of price point are you looking for and how serious are you about photography?

Between the canon XS-xsi cameras, the big thing that changes is resolution with a few more smarter automations on the XSI. The XSI also has a better screen resolution on the back display. The higher res the back display is, the more I like the camera personally. I have a D300 and when I've used my friends 40d I have a hard time with it just because of how bad the resolution is on the rear display, but I can stick the memory card in my camera and love the pictures. The XS by contrast has a terrible rear display. The pictures look good on a computer but not worth showing friends or clients on the back of the camera.

Since your girlfriend has a nikon you might check out the d80 or D90 (awesome rear display) and compare it to the XSI, since you'll be able to share lenses with her if you go nikon. I'm not sure what nikons you looked at but the D80 and D90 feel heavier/sturdier than the XS line

Also, If you're into HDR, you'll appreciate a camera that offers exposure bracketing. You'll have to check the specks for the XSI but I'm sure it has it, not sure about the other xs cameras

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Also, If you're into HDR, you'll appreciate a camera that offers exposure bracketing. You'll have to check the specks for the XSI but I'm sure it has it, not sure about the other xs cameras

The XTi definately has it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just started out and im really getting into all this. Ive been using my girlfriends d40 but I think I need to get a camera of my own so we arent fighting over who gets the camera for the day haha. Anyways Ive been looking around for the past week and checking them out in stores. I really like the feel of the canons compared to the nikons

When you buy a camera body you will also buy a lens, and then another lens and so on. later you upgrade the body you will want to keep the same brand so buying a Canon now means you will be buying many more over the years. Make sure the brand you buy ofers the lenses and other parts you want. Price out the entire kit you might want to own in a few years. Don't select abrand based on just the "feel" of their entry level SLR body, look at the entire system.

If you both had the same brand you could share lenses and flashes and what not.

BTW, any camera is suitable for HDR. No special features are required other then an adjustable shutter speed. and cameras have had then for over 100 years now.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks for all the replys guys. So I have thought it over and discussed it with my girlfriend and have decided to go with a nikon due to the fact we can share lenses and flashes etc and in the long run it just made more since money wise. So Im now deciding between a d60 and a d80. From what I can see these are almost the same except for just a few small differences and one of the major ones I noticed was auto bracketing being available on the d80. I also have read that the d60 came out last year and the d80 came out in 2006 which makes me wonder if a new one will come out soon. Im leaning toward the d80 I think just bc of the auto bracketing but being as old as it is Im not sure if it will be worth it to buy it then a new one come out in a month or so. Any ideas on which to go with?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
So Im now deciding between a d60 and a d80. From what I can see these are almost the same except for just a few small differences and one of the major ones I noticed was auto bracketing being available on the d80. I also have read that the d60 came out last year and the d80 came out in 2006 which makes me wonder if a new one will come out soon.

The D80 successor came out last August and is called the D90. There are rumors of a couple of new bodies being announced in the April-June timeframe, but no specific information has developed yet. The D40 is getting long in the tooth, and Nikon would probably like to get a 5DMkII killer out there, so those are the likely candidates.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Probably not the only one she really uses is the standard 18-55 that came with it. So the d80 would still be worth investing into right now even though its been out since 2006?

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Between the D80 and D60? D80.

On the D60 I must agree with KTCNOPR, it is just not enough of a step up from the D40 to justify not saving money and getting a D40.
On the D80 it is, and I think the D80 is a great buy right now, especially if you can find it used from a reputable source like KEH or B&Hused, or new, either way.
I'd consider the D90 over the D80 but there is certainly a price difference and if $$ is a factor (always is) the D80 is plenty of camera and plenty good too.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Between the D80 and D60? D80.

On the D60 I must agree with KTCNOPR, it is just not enough of a step up from the D40 to justify not saving money and getting a D40.
On the D80 it is, and I think the D80 is a great buy right now, especially if you can find it used from a reputable source like KEH or B&Hused, or new, either way.
I'd consider the D90 over the D80 but there is certainly a price difference and if $$ is a factor (always is) the D80 is plenty of camera and plenty good too.

Thanks exactly what I was waiting to hear. The only concern about the d60 was that it wasnt much of and upgrade and the limited lenses that would auto focus. Ok Im pretty sure im getting the d80 now unless someone talks me out of it haha.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
You won't be disappointed in the D80! Just try to focus on taking photos and if you participate in online photography forums focus more on the threads about improving your technique and less on the ones lusting over new equipment, if you do that you will be just fine!

However if you start reading the lust threads you will start doubting yourself and focus on wanting a better camera to take better photos instead of improving your technique, first you will want to get a D90, then you'll get that, then you will want to get a D300 and then after a while a D700.

At the end of the day it is taking photos and enjoying it that matters, sure there are reasons you will need to upgrade in the future when you have specific requirements but for the time being the D80 will be more than adequate for your needs.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks guys. One more question while im at it. Nikon lenses kind of confuse me. From what I see most of nikons lenses should work and autofocus on the d80 is that right?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Thanks guys. One more question while im at it. Nikon lenses kind of confuse me. From what I see most of nikons lenses should work and autofocus on the d80 is that right?

That is correct, there are some older manual focus lenses though that won't have metering on the D80.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
How does this deal sound? d80 with 18-135mm lens with less than 100 pictures taken and 3 months old for $550.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
From what I have seen that lens goes for over $200 used so I figured I would sell so the body would only cost me $350 that seems pretty good right?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Thanks for all the replys guys. So I have thought it over and discussed it with my girlfriend and have decided to go with a nikon due to the fact we can share lenses and flashes etc and in the long run it just made more since money wise. So Im now deciding between a d60 and a d80. From what I can see these are almost the same except for just a few small differences and one of the major ones I noticed was auto bracketing being available on the d80. I also have read that the d60 came out last year and the d80 came out in 2006 which makes me wonder if a new one will come out soon. Im leaning toward the d80 I think just bc of the auto bracketing but being as old as it is Im not sure if it will be worth it to buy it then a new one come out in a month or so. Any ideas on which to go with?

I was about to say...

Why would anyone recommend a Canon camera when you have access to a Nikon one? I'm a Canon guy, but it just makes sense to stick with the same system.

Probably not the only one she really uses is the standard 18-55 that came with it. So the d80 would still be worth investing into right now even though its been out since 2006?

So on the one hand you say that you can share lenses, but on the other you say likely, you won't share lenses.

Anyway, it just makes sense to have the same camera brand. You can learn features together, share accessories, and share software and workflow.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
From what I have seen that lens goes for over $200 used so I figured I would sell so the body would only cost me $350 that seems pretty good right?

Looks good to me if it's legit, but check that all the original accessories are provided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.