Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I'm going to be entering several photos into a contest... we are allowed one entry per category and i've selected a couple photos for some of the categories. The ones I'm having trouble deciding on are below, for the 2 categories: places and plants/animals.

Please help me pick one for each of the 2 categories... or if you happen to see a photo on my site (see sig.. if you want :D) that you think would be better suited.. feel free to let me know as well. Here goes:

CATEGORY 1 - Places:

a)
p323298775-4.jpg

b)
p272549180-4.jpg

c)
p767001252-4.jpg

d)
p845967599-4.jpg

e)
p1073413999-4.jpg

CATEGORY 2 - plants/animals:

a)
p694347226-4.jpg

b)
p684547697-4.jpg

c)
EDIT: Photo has been removed as I've decided to submit this one. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

I3eXa

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2004
IdaPIMP
i would say for places, a since the snow is pretty perfect and not ruined by people walking in it. and either the last one, or first, for animals.

mheidt

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
One can see you in the eyes of the cat, which I don't like.

So I would go for the spider or the birds.

places are hard to tell...black and white and then!?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
1e, possibly one of the 2 factory photos because they may be seen as "unique", which may help.

2c. The cat's eyes (?) photo is nice, but I can see you in it, which ruins it. The spider photo is good, but the bird one is probably the photo to submit despite the lack of feather detail, catchlights in the eyes, etc.

melissarae

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
tampa, florida
imo... definitely B photo for the places category... that one just stood right out for me in comparison to the other options. for the animals category, B photo of the spider is my favorite. not everyday you get up close and personal with those little eight-legged freaks. it's a beautiful photo.

all of your work is amazing! thanks for sharing it with us ;o)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
C for both. "C" in the first category has a real sense of place combined with an implicit history. The lighting is great too.

"C" in the second category is just a great shot.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
C, then A or C. I really like the spider one, but it's a touch blurred.

Wouldn't take the snow ones as they look too generic.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'd do B for the first category and C for the second.

I like the lighting on both graffiti shots, but they don't communicate "place" to me as well as B does.

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
I love the shot of the cats eye. Very mean.
Didn't notice the reflection at first glance, but I actually think it looks pretty cool.
All great images, I like A for places as well

c3str

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
C Ftw

C for the first.

B or C for the second, though I feel less strongly about this choice than that from the "places" category.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
simon Cowell

I'm going to be Simon Cowell here:

In category 1: not b or d

In category 2: none of them.

but the rest are all good. ;)

PS - Not a photographer, but I have 2 Art & Design degrees.

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
Just out of curiosity, are those indoor industrial shots the Don Valley Brick Works? they kinda look it...I've always been afraid to walk inside :) wasn't sure if I should take those "heavily contaminated" warnings seriously or not. I know they've been cleaning the place up.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
THANKS ALL!

Clearly, asking the forum has helped. ;)

haha... I kind of expected some conflicting opinions. Anyhow... tallying the votes definitely shows some favourites. I've decided to go with 2c, the one with the baby birds (sorry, had to remove to photo because I'm submitting it). I redid the PP to bring out the catchlights and some of the details in the feathers a bit more...

I'm still very much undecided about the submission for places. The votes seem to favour either C or D. I personally like D more, but C seems to fit the "Places" category better as it shows the size and details of the building better....

Just out of curiosity, are those indoor industrial shots the Don Valley Brick Works? they kinda look it...I've always been afraid to walk inside :) wasn't sure if I should take those "heavily contaminated" warnings seriously or not. I know they've been cleaning the place up.

VictorM... yup, this is the Brickworks. It's not really as dangerous as they want you to believe. Afterall, a little asbestos never killed anybody.......wait...... nevermind. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.