Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msRN2021

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Asking for suggestion. I want the new MBP, 14 inch. I am not sure if the base model with the 8/14 core seems to be enough for my needs or should I go with the higher 10/16 core available right now at my local apple store. Here are the list of my usage:

• Music production - Ableton live, recordings in garage band, arturia (music midi software).
  • I also use lumafusion on my iPad/iPhone for my video editing but I want to get the pro apps bundle with the Final Cut Pro and logic to step up my video editing.
  • I also like to edit photos in Lightroom/photoshop maybe once a week.
  • Citrix EPIC program to access work
  • Of course I do the basic tasks such as office 365 for my research/school, zoom calls, Microsoft teams.
  • Regular web browsing, movies, etc.

My current computer is a dell xps. It can handle everything listed above except, video editing & garage band. I really would like to step away from the PC world. I had the base Mac mini m1 but Ableton eats up the CPU usage and it is quite sluggish. I find I am using close to 6gb of ram already just with Ableton and safari on.

Any recommendations? Btw, I ultimately hate the Touch Bar and the screen of the previous MacBook Pro/air

TIA :)

msRN2021

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
There's YT videos of people editing 8k video on the base 14" model with no lag and no fan kicking on.
Cool, I have to check that out. I don't do 8k yet.. I use Sony a73 mostly then iPhone photos.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I’d guess ableton would be about same on 14 as your experience on m1 mini. 14 isn’t a huge leap (cpu wise)over the m1. Ableton and it’s plug-ins are not m1 native and use Rosetta. Best way is to try it and see.

And that’s the thing. Much of the software out there isn’t m1 native. It’s a work in process. And having to rely on Rosetta for now. No doubt things will look different later. Hopefully. Rosetta is supposed to be temporary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.