Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
This damn thing keeps popping up at random times.
I have tried numerous times to adjust my Safari settings to address this.
No luck.

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 7.56.19 AM.png

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
That thing annoyed me for months until I finally realized you have to install the JDK its talking about. Either "More Info..." or "OK" one of those will load Safari and take you to the Java website where you have to install the correct Java devkit. I haven't the flakiest clue what its for, I'm not Javascript developer... all I know is once I installed the developer kit it finally shut the heck up >o<

Valashtar

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2017
When did this start?

I'd bet money that you have the very very old Facebook Video Calling plugin installed. Check your ~/Library/Internet Plugins folder, and delete the FB plugin if you see it. (You may also have other plugins that depend on java, but unless there's something you're aware that you absolutely must have, trash those too).

DON'T install java just to make it go away! Java is a pretty common source of computer-compromising bugs; definitely not something you want running in a web browser or on your computer period.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
When did this start?

I'd bet money that you have the very very old Facebook Video Calling plugin installed. Check your ~/Library/Internet Plugins folder, and delete the FB plugin if you see it. (You may also have other plugins that depend on java, but unless there's something you're aware that you absolutely must have, trash those too).

DON'T install java just to make it go away! Java is a pretty common source of computer-compromising bugs; definitely not something you want running in a web browser or on your computer period.
[doublepost=1512136038][/doublepost]I did have a Facebook Video Calling file, and three others that didn't look familiar. All now in the trash. We'll see if that solves the problem. THANKS

Valashtar

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2017
[doublepost=1512136038][/doublepost]I did have a Facebook Video Calling file, and three others that didn't look familiar. All now in the trash. We'll see if that solves the problem. THANKS

You're very welcome. Check ~/Library/LaunchAgents and ~/Library Application\ Support for anything Facebook as well - I seem to recall the launchagent being the most problematic. Hope that sorts it!

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Cool. The earlier deletions seemed to have worked until yesterday when the little JAVA things started popping up again. Just went into the Library and deleted a bunch of App Support files from programs I haven't used in years.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
As far as I have been able to figure out, the prompt has nothing to do with any browser. It appears whether there is a browser active or not. I've deleted stuff to no effect. The solution, as shown in a post at Apple's KB is to download an old version of Java, (I followed the prompt and downloaded the version it points to and it did nothing to make it go away).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-get-rid-of-java-prompt.2079312/

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
As far as I have been able to figure out, the prompt has nothing to do with any browser. It appears whether there is a browser active or not. I've deleted stuff to no effect. The solution, as shown in a post at Apple's KB is to download an old version of Java, (I followed the prompt and downloaded the version it points to and it did nothing to make it go away).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-get-rid-of-java-prompt.2079312/
[doublepost=1512603979][/doublepost]Dropping the computer into a bath of salt water probably wouldn't help.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Yeah, that's what Apple recommended in a link in my thread. I went ahead and downloaded and installed it, (as I'm tired of that damned prompt interrupting me when I'm busy). We'll see if it works. Only problem I have is that it's an older, less secure version of Java and won't be as secure. Time will tell.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Well, so far, so good. After installing the older version of java the prompt has not returned. Now to see what the older version does in the long run, security-wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.