Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dishwab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I'm trying to upgrade the RAM on my late 2013 27" iMac and I'm having an issue doing so. I laid it down on my desk, unplugged the power cord, and pressed the button as you're supposed to do. However, the memory compartment isn't opening. I tried prying it open with a razor blade while pressing the button, but that didn't work either (it did scratch the shell up nicely, though).

Any ideas here? How does that mechanism actually work? Seems like a pretty simple thing to have go wrong... Any help would be much appreciated

thanks, Joe

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
I'm trying to upgrade the RAM on my late 2013 27" iMac and I'm having an issue doing so. I laid it down on my desk, unplugged the power cord, and pressed the button as you're supposed to do. However, the memory compartment isn't opening. I tried prying it open with a razor blade while pressing the button, but that didn't work either (it did scratch the shell up nicely, though).

Any ideas here? How does that mechanism actually work? Seems like a pretty simple thing to have go wrong... Any help would be much appreciated

thanks, Joe
[doublepost=1456877882][/doublepost]The mechanism is a simple lever. There are two pins that push up on the bottom edge of the memory hatch cover when the button is pressed. It has good leverage, but some pressure on the button may still be required. The cover will open just enough to grip the edge with fingernails, about 2 mm.

The closed cover is gripped so tightly, with a very tiny gap around the edge, that it would be almost impossible to pry it open with a tool without damaging the case and cover, if a tool that thin didn't break. It does require a bit of pressure on the cover to close it.

If your button moves without opening the cover, the linkage is broken. If it doesn't move, press harder. The memory cover on my late 2012 27" iMac took a lot of pressure on the button to open it the first time.

dishwab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Turns out I'm just a weakling. Found a tool like the one posted above and pushed harder to get it to pop open. Thanks all

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
Instead of trying to do it with a razor blade I'd recommend to just take it to the Apple Store and they'd probably open it for you, for free. Anyway glad you got it fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.