Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Hi! I opened a video from work sent by my supervisor, and now I can't access my desktop folders. I have a Mac Mini, running on Yosemite 10.10. If I open my Systems folder and click on any icon, the System folder will close with a long error message. I tried relaunching Finder, which sent my computer into a continuous loop of 'Don't Open' and 'Reopen' error messages. If I click on the desktop, all my files and folders disappear, leaving only my screensaver image and the toolbar across the bottom of the page. Any suggestions on how to fix this and access all of my files? Thank you VERY much! Besides work files, I have multiple book projects on this desktop computer.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Have you rebooted your computer since? Try also this: close all Finder windows and then relaunch Finder again.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Hi! I opened a video from work sent by my supervisor, and now I can't access my desktop folders. I have a Mac Mini, running on Yosemite 10.10. If I open my Systems folder and click on any icon, the System folder will close with a long error message. I tried relaunching Finder, which sent my computer into a continuous loop of 'Don't Open' and 'Reopen' error messages. If I click on the desktop, all my files and folders disappear, leaving only my screensaver image and the toolbar across the bottom of the page. Any suggestions on how to fix this and access all of my files? Thank you VERY much! Besides work files, I have multiple book projects on this desktop computer.
You know you've provided every other detail than the most important one, the error message. Take a picture of the error message and post here. It'll be easier for us to understand what really is going on down there.

Merrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Have you rebooted your computer since? Try also this: close all Finder windows and then relaunch Finder again.

How do I close all Finder Windows? I have very little control over the Mac at this point. It doesn't respond.

Merrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
You know you've provided every other detail than the most important one, the error message. Take a picture of the error message and post here. It'll be easier for us to understand what really is going on down there.

Here is a jpg of the screen and error message. Thanks!
[doublepost=1472845534][/doublepost]
Here is a jpg of the screen and error message. Thanks!

I have no idea what happened, but after several attempts at rebooting, I finally had to unplug the computer and just walk away from it for about 45 minutes. When I finally came back and turned it on, to try some of these wonderful and very helpful and so encouraging (REALLY, GUYS! I was ready to quit the World of Things), my Mac Mini somehow miraculously healed itself. THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING ME NOT FEEL ALONE IN THIS TECH NIGHTMARE!! I highly commend and recommend and thank each one of you!
[doublepost=1472845575][/doublepost]
Try command–option–W.

I have no idea what happened, but after several attempts at rebooting, I finally had to unplug the computer and just walk away from it for about 45 minutes. When I finally came back and turned it on, to try some of these wonderful and very helpful and so encouraging (REALLY, GUYS! I was ready to quit the World of Things), my Mac Mini somehow miraculously healed itself. THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING ME NOT FEEL ALONE IN THIS TECH NIGHTMARE!! I highly commend and recommend and thank each one of you!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 317
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.