Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aeolyn5601

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Hey all,

I have a 13" 2009 Macbook Pro. I also have a replacement magsafe. Since mountain lion came out, when I am charging my macbook pro, it will just shut down with no explanation. Sometimes fully, sometimes the way it does when it runs out of battery, where it comes back up to where I left off. Now it just shut down 2 minutes ago and I have no battery info. None. There is an x in the middle of my my battery indicator and the side indicator won't show anything either. Does anyone know where the problem might lie? With the magsafe? Mountain Lion? I ordered a macbook air, but it won't be here til friday and I need this macbook for work. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I will check this thread as often as possible if anyone needs to ask for more info.

Edit: I reset my SMC and that seems to have temporarily resolved the problem, but is there any way to prevent the issue from happening?

Last edited:

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
It could be a battery software problem (hence resetting SMC fixes it) however it could also be that your battery is completely dead.

aeolyn5601

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
No it's not the battery being completely dead, I know that. As I went to check this thread, I barely moved the magsafe as it was connected and it shut down again, although in the same way as when the battery dies. I reset the SMC and here I am. This really sucks.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
No it's not the battery being completely dead, I know that. As I went to check this thread, I barely moved the magsafe as it was connected and it shut down again, although in the same way as when the battery dies. I reset the SMC and here I am. This really sucks.

So if your wall power is interrupted momentarily, and your battery is fine, why would it shut down?

How do you know your battery is fine?

Occam's razor, anyone?

Last edited:

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

So if your wall power is interrupted momentarily, and your battery is fine, why would it shut down?

How do you know your battery is fine?

Occam's razor, anyone?

Exactly. If the battery appears to be fully or partially charged but immediately shuts down upon disturbance of the MagSafe, I'd say it's a problem with both the MagSafe and the battery. One isn't giving the computer consistent power and the other isn't properly storing it.

Go to System Information and select "Power." Take screenshots of the entire page, leaving nothing out.

aeolyn5601

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Turns out it's the magsafe. A family member put their macbook pro on my charger and it proceeded to shut down after a few minutes. At least I know it's not the computer now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.