Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Hey, I haven't really been keeping up to date with digital camera's these days, but I decided I need to buy a new one. The one I have now is the canon s230. I am looking for something probably a little thinner then that, with a bigger screen. I'm looking to spend around $300 but from there, I just don't know whats the best anymore. There are some casio's that look nice, the z-850 or something like that. But, what are your recommendations??

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Canon SD450

brsboarder said:
Hey, I haven't really been keeping up to date with digital camera's these days, but I decided I need to buy a new one. The one I have now is the canon s230. I am looking for something probably a little thinner then that, with a bigger screen. I'm looking to spend around $300 but from there, I just don't know whats the best anymore. There are some casio's that look nice, the z-850 or something like that. But, what are your recommendations??

Very thin and a large screen, also takes pretty good pictures. I had a Casio for a couple days and returned it for the Canon. INMO the casios felt cheap and I was not impressed by the photo quality.

So i woul recommend the canon sd450

fozy

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Aspen, CO
brsboarder said:

I have only bought Canon camera since I swithced from Nikon years ago. I own the SD200 and love it but my friends Casio is way sharper. Canon has their interface down but on their last couple rounds of powershot camera the image quality seams to have been sacrificed for lens size. Still sharp enough for snapshots, I have a shot on my wall at 11x17 from Ireland last year taken with my SD200, looks great from only 3mp.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Casios take fine photos. Sony does too, IMO.

Look at Olympus, Pentax, Fuji, Casio, Canon, Nikon, and.....and.....Kodak....um.... whatever, all those small cameras are quite good nowadays. The difference is the user interface/menu, screen size (and how fast it reacts to camera motion), and that's basically it. Big zoom cameras generally bigger, and ones with lots of manual features are all quite big for a point and shoot camera.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Thanks to price matching I got a Nikon Coolpix s6 for 340 at BB. 6 mp and a 3" screen(borderlining on too big). The wifi is a neat addition depending on your situation. (Actually works out quite well for me) If you don't want it, the S5 is the same camera w/o the wifi.

I had a Casio elixim but it broke(my 3rd broken one) and I'll never get one again. The problem was its power on button placement. The case that CASIO SELLS FOR IT is very close to the button. And given its a thin cam, I put it in my pocket. The problem is if well your side touches almost ANYTHING. The case hits the power button and the camera comes on, lens TRIES to extend, and after enough of these accidents a wierd dot appears on all the pictures[you'll see the dot/discoloration in the view finder(happened to 2 of them) or the camera no longer focuses at all and ur left with a blur fest (my 3rd and last). So now I dodge pocket cams with extendable lenses like the bird flu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.