Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

totolad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Hi everyone, would just like to say thanks for all the help previous. I have a Nikon D70s with a Speed 800 something? Its a flash unit I think. My other half bought it me, and I have never used it at all. I would rather use my £300 Sony D50. Much smaller, BUT.

I would like to start using my Nikon camera, and have taken a few pictures, but wanted to know which software to use to edit them in. I have Aperture and wondered if this was the best. Also I have found it really difficult to use my mouse and was wondering about buying one of those tablets, would this me useful to me? If so which one should I buy. I don't mind paying £300-£400, if they are any good as I really wanna get into this digital photo thing.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks!

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Hi everyone, would just like to say thanks for all the help previous. I have a Nikon D70s with a Speed 800 something? Its a flash unit I think. My other half bought it me, and I have never used it at all. I would rather use my £300 Sony D50. Much smaller, BUT.

I would like to start using my Nikon camera, and have taken a few pictures, but wanted to know which software to use to edit them in. I have Aperture and wondered if this was the best. Also I have found it really difficult to use my mouse and was wondering about buying one of those tablets, would this me useful to me? If so which one should I buy. I don't mind paying £300-£400, if they are any good as I really wanna get into this digital photo thing.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks!

While Aperture is what i use most i still find photoshop a required piece of software. aperture has great photoshop intragration, lightrom is OK but i know people who use bridge witch is really bad IMHO. MAKE SURE YOUR COMPUTER CAN RUN APERTURE AT A DECENT SPEED aperture is known to tax your graphics card that is why apple only wants you to use it on pro computers. and if you do choose aperture try shooting in raw as much as you can.

I learned on Photoshop 1.0 using a one button mouse, tablets are an advantage when doing some work like masking, but i prefer the mouse a tablet. it can help out but it takes some getting used to. we used the Wacom Cintiq for the high school yearbook and it was amazing, but it is not very practical for home use because of the price tag $2500 US. check out Wacom tablets if that is your thing though

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Aperture looks like it will serve your needs just fine; no use for a tablet in that case.

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
I started using Aperture when I was first learning photography with my old Nikon D50. As a workflow/cataloging program Aperture is hard to beat. My friends were amazed how I can take a 2GB sd card shot in raw and 1 hour later, all the pictures have been post processed and uploaded to my photo gallery on my .Mac site.
The only downside I've noticed is the RAW converter used by Aperture, while satisfactory, cannot compare to Nikon Capture NX.

totolad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Cheers for the help guys! does any one have a specific tablet that they would recommend?

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Cheers for the help guys! does any one have a specific tablet that they would recommend?

Wacom Intuos line is great, buy only wacom tablets, i bought an off brand one because it was cheaper and then found out the driver was for windows only:mad: despite what the packaging said. the Intuos line is the top line aside from the Cinteq of course, but any wacom tablet should work for you

totolad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Thank you very much. I have just ordered it online from their store. I have just bought an A4 oversize. bit more than expected but i'll let ya know of the results! Thanks for all your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.