Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinwhoswitchedfromPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Hi everyone,

I've searched the threads but can't find a solution to this.

I'm using a 2020 macbook pro with the 4 USB ports and a BenQ PD2700U. I have them connected with a USB C to HDMI cable.

Up until today, I have been able to run the BenQ monitor at a 2560x1440 resolution as an external monitor. Today I unplugged everything because I was moving my desk, and now I can no longer get this resolution option to appear. The highest resolution offered is 1080p, which is not at all ideal. Much too big.

I'm not sure what I could be missing here. I have tried holding down option while selecting the scaled resolution button, but 1080p is all that shows up now.
Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.28.41 AM.png

Is there a workaround to get the monitor to go back to 2560x1440?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Try these quick things if you haven't already. I'm guessing that you've already restarted the computer, and unplugged / plugged the monitor and adaptor back in again, and tried switching from Scaled to Default and back again?

1) Try both a PRAM/NVRAM Reset and also SMC Reset if that doesn't do it.

2) If that doesn't work there are a number of software packages that enable/show your resolutions in different ways and make them accessible in the menu bar as well. Some of these will show more resolutions than Apple shows you by default. You could try Display Menu Pro, BestRes, or the much more powerful SwitchResX.

Hopefully one of those will get you back up and working again.

KevinwhoswitchedfromPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Try these quick things if you haven't already. I'm guessing that you've already restarted the computer, and unplugged / plugged the monitor and adaptor back in again, and tried switching from Scaled to Default and back again?

1) Try both a PRAM/NVRAM Reset and also SMC Reset if that doesn't do it.

2) If that doesn't work there are a number of software packages that enable/show your resolutions in different ways and make them accessible in the menu bar as well. Some of these will show more resolutions than Apple shows you by default. You could try Display Menu Pro, BestRes, or the much more powerful SwitchResX.

Hopefully one of those will get you back up and working again.
Giving these a shot. I thought I had it fixed before after a few resets, but now it's decided to return to 1080p with no option for other resolutions

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.