Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I couldn't find an iTunes forum so I'm posting here since I got a MacBook Retina.

1) Due to my 2005 Dell screwing up the encoding of some of my music files. (making a track in an album bounce into another track and back to original track during playback). I'm going to start from scratch and burn all my CDs onto the MacBook. My question is is there a big difference between Apple Lossless and AAC 256 bps? Previously I used the latter. I'm concerned how much more space the Lossless will take up. Also, I rememember reading on here my iPhone and iPad wouldn't recognize Lossless however there is a setting on the iPhone iPad settings that automatically convert the files to ACC during transfer. So would it be worth using Lossless on the MacBook?

2) As noted above I'm burning my albums. But I do have some music that I do not have on CDs to burn. I was thinking of getting a drive to transfer them. But it is a small amount so I was thinking of using my Dropbox account to transfer then delete them off Dropbox as I transfer them.

Is that a good idea? Also, if so when I do transfer the files either via Dropbox or a drive which folder they going? Can I just transfer each artist folder from the iTunes Media folder on the PC to the same folder of that name on the Mac?

Also, once I do get the files on the Mac how do I get them I'm the iTunes library?

Last edited:

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
1) iPhones can play ALAC (Apple Lossless) files just fine. I don't really know if it would be worth ripping in lossless unless you're really really OCD about your music quality. I'd go for 320kbps rips instead of lossless, personally.

2) Delete all the music which you have on CD from your Dell using iTunes, and use Dropbox to transfer the remaining songs.

Once they're on the Mac, simply drag and drop the folders into iTunes.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I couldn't find an iTunes forum so I'm posting here since I got a MacBook Retina.
Questions about iTunes or other apps usually go in the Mac Applications and Mac App Store forum, regardless of the hardware used.
My question is is there a big difference between Apple Lossless and AAC 256 bps?
The vast majority of people won't be able to hear any difference between the two. The few that claim they can, probably also claim they can hear dog whistles.

2) As noted above I'm burning my albums. But I do have some music that I do not have on CDs to burn. I was thinking of getting a drive to transfer them. But it is a small amount so I was thinking of using my Dropbox account to transfer then delete them off Dropbox as I transfer them.
That should work fine.

Also, if so when I do transfer the files either via Dropbox or a drive which folder they going? Can I just transfer each artist folder from the iTunes Media folder on the PC to the same folder of that name on the Mac?
Yes, if you like.

Also, once I do get the files on the Mac how do I get them I'm the iTunes library?
You can simply add them to your library in iTunes by selecting File > Add to Library. Be aware that if you have these boxes checked below, iTunes will make a copy of any files you add, so you'll want to delete the originals after you add them to your library. If you uncheck the boxes below, you can put the music in your iTunes media folder and then add them. iTunes will use the files you added, rather than making copies.
attachment.php

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
You can simply add them to your library in iTunes by selecting File > Add to Library. Be aware that if you have these boxes checked below, iTunes will make a copy of any files you add, so you'll want to delete the originals after you add them to your library. If you uncheck the boxes below, you can put the music in your iTunes media folder and then add them. iTunes will use the files you added, rather than making copies.
attachment.php

Thank you! I remember seeing these settings on the Dell. I know I'm gonna hate myself due to the things you mentioned. But I prefer the files organized as the descriptions state when I rip my CDs. So, the reason I'm gonna hate myself where would I find the originals to delete them?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you! I remember seeing these settings on the Dell. I know I'm gonna hate myself due to the things you mentioned. But I prefer the files organized as the descriptions state when I rip my CDs. So, the reason I'm gonna hate myself where would I find the originals to delete them?
If you plan to let iTunes make copies, just put all your originals in a separate folder anywhere, such as on your desktop. Then, after you've added that folder to iTunes with those boxes checked, you can simply delete anything in the originals folder, without having to go searching.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
If you plan to let iTunes make copies, just put all your originals in a separate folder anywhere, such as on your desktop. Then, after you've added that folder to iTunes with those boxes checked, you can simply delete anything in the originals folder, without having to go searching.

Oh so basically if I put them on desktop and tell iTunes those are the files I want in the iTunes library those boxes will automatically copy them in the iTunes Media folder as I choose them to be put on iTunes library.

I thought I'd have to put them in the iTunes folder for the iTunes app to recognize them to go in library. Actually doing it on the desktop then if I understand you correctly with those boxes checked it'll automatically put the copies in the correct folders for me and it be less I have to worry about other than deleting the ones I place on the desktop like you said.

This may be better because I was afraid I'd put them in the wrong place manually.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh so basically if I put them on desktop and tell iTunes those the files I want in the iTunes library those boxes will automatically copy them in the iTunes Media folder as I choose them to be put on iTunes library.

I thought I'd have to put them in the iTunes folder for the iTunes app to recognize them to go in library.
No, you don't have to put music in your iTunes folder, even if you don't have the boxes checked. For example, I have my iTunes library split, since it won't all fit on my internal drive. I have some of the music in my iTunes media folder on my internal drive, and the rest in another folder on an external drive. I leave the boxes unchecked, so iTunes will add music from any location to the library, without making copies.

For your purposes, just put all new music in your "new music" folder on your desktop, then add that folder to iTunes with those boxes checked. Then delete the contents of that "new music" folder on your desktop.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
No, you don't have to put music in your iTunes folder, even if you don't have the boxes checked. For example, I have my iTunes library split, since it won't all fit on my internal drive. I have some of the music in my iTunes media folder on my internal drive, and the rest in another folder on an external drive. I leave the boxes unchecked, so iTunes will add music from any location to the library, without making copies.

For your purposes, just put all new music in your "new music" folder on your desktop, then add that folder to iTunes with those boxes checked. Then delete the contents of that "new music" folder on your desktop.

Sorry to be a PITA. I do know all of this in the PC world. Just want to be clear for Mac OS.

When you say, add that folder to iTunes you are referring within the app going through the steps and process? Not moving the folder physically?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry to be a PITA. I do know all of this in the PC world. Just want to be clear for Mac OS.

When you say, add that folder to iTunes you are referring within the app going through the steps and process? Not moving the folder physically?
Correct. I mean within iTunes you select File > Add to Library, then browse and select the "new music" folder on your desktop that contains the original music files you want to add.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Correct. I mean within iTunes you select File > Add to Library, then browse and select the "new music" folder on your desktop that contains the original music files you want to add.

Thank you was confused because the first person who replied said "simply drag folder" wasn't sure what they meant

----------

Also I think I'm gonna use Dropbox because it's a small amount and I'll just pay the 10.00 upgrade one month. It's cheaper than a drive also, when I do buy a drive I want one thunderbolt or USB 3 which my 2005 Dell isn't compatible with.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you was confused because the first person who replied said "simply drag folder" wasn't sure what they meant
They meant that instead of using File > Add to Library, then browsing for the folder or file, you can just drag a music folder or file from Finder and drop it on the iTunes window to add it. It doesn't move the folder/file, but it will add it to your library. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

Also I think I'm gonna use Dropbox because it's a small amount and I'll just pay the 10.00 upgrade one month.
There are many ways to get free additional storage space on Dropbox.

The Official Dropbox Guide To Getting More Space!
How do I get free space for using Camera Upload?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

----------

Also I think I'm gonna use Dropbox because it's a small amount and I'll just pay the 10.00 upgrade one month. It's cheaper than a drive also, when I do buy a drive I want one thunderbolt or USB 3 which my 2005 Dell isn't compatible with.

That's definitely a valid option, however I would suggest getting an external drive as A) physical storage is faster, B) it never hurts to have somewhere where you can locally back up (such as the situation you're in now). Additionally, all USB 3 drives should be backwards compatible meaning that it will use USB 2 speeds (which aren't slow).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.