Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a 2017 mbp ntouch bar and i started reading about a lot of people experiencing keyboard failure :(( I was wondering if there are any precautionary methods i could take to prevent such an issue from occuring... Would buying a keyboard cover help?!?

Reactions: edgr.sanchez

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Would buying a keyboard cover help?!?
It might. Some people theorize that dust/debris is getting into the mechanism and causing issues. I cannot safe for sure, but that's one line of thought. I'm not sure how a keyboard cover will work in all honesty, given the laptops tight tolerances and lack of gaps.

I think the consensus is that the 2017 has a better keyboard then the 16 model, so you might not have an issue.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
It might. Some people theorize that dust/debris is getting into the mechanism and causing issues. I cannot safe for sure, but that's one line of thought. I'm not sure how a keyboard cover will work in all honesty, given the laptops tight tolerances and lack of gaps.

I think the consensus is that the 2017 has a better keyboard then the 16 model, so you might not have an issue.
Thank you for your reply! has there been any reasoning as to why or how the 2017 keyboard is better?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
has there been any reasoning as to why or how the 2017 keyboard is better?
There's been discussions here that Apple may have altered the scissors mechenaism to make it less susceptible to failure. I think they're on to something inso far that Apple probably has and continues to tweak the existing design to improve the quality.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2018 model with a 3rd generation butterfly keyboard that is even better - at least that's what people are hoping for that are waiting on the sidelines.

Back to the 2017 model, I'd recommend getting AppleCare, which will give you 2 more years of warranty so that you know you'll be covered for 3 years at the very least.

Reactions: RevTEG

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
There's been discussions here that Apple may have altered the scissors mechenaism to make it less susceptible to failure. I think they're on to something inso far that Apple probably has and continues to tweak the existing design to improve the quality.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2018 model with a 3rd generation butterfly keyboard that is even better - at least that's what people are hoping for that are waiting on the sidelines.

Back to the 2017 model, I'd recommend getting AppleCare, which will give you 2 more years of warranty so that you know you'll be covered for 3 years at the very least.
oh okay great :) i hope theyre right!
I'm from the caribbean so I have no access to apple care :(

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I recommend that you DO NOT buy a keyboard cover.
There is very little room between the keys and the display surface when the lid is down.

The display surface has a very thin "sprayed-on" matte surface.
Chances are, if there's contact between the keyboard cover and the display surface, you're going to see marring of anti-glare coating.

The flaky keyboards are a "risk of ownership" of the 2016/17 MacBook Pros.
Some folks don't have problems, others have many.
Seems to be "hit or miss".
Apple hasn't got this under control yet.
Only time will tell.

I've never bought AppleCare before, but if I was to get a new MacBook Pro, I think I might have to for peace-of-mind...

MikeThicke

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
Don't buy a keyboard cover. Buy a can of compressed air. I've occasionally had a soft-feeling spacebar on my MBP 2016 that was fixed with a few bursts of air, and this also seems to be Apple's recommended intervention. I've never had any issues I'd consider severe though, so perhaps there are more significant issues I've yet to encounter.

And I wouldn't buy AppleCare, even if you believe that this generation of MBPs is abnormally problematic. In theory if there are serious problems with these (unanticipated by Apple) then AppleCare could be worth it, but in my experience if there are serious design flaws then you will get free service regardless. That is what happened to me a number of years ago (~2010) when my MBP had serious graphics issues. Apple replaced the mainboard for free even though I didn't have AppleCare. Maybe policies have changed, or that was a special exception, but I've never purchased AppleCare in my 15 years of Mac ownership and I've never had repairs that cost anything near what I'd have paid for AppleCare over all those years.

Reactions: cambookpro

Queen6

macrumors G4
Don't buy a keyboard cover. Buy a can of compressed air. I've occasionally had a soft-feeling spacebar on my MBP 2016 that was fixed with a few bursts of air, and this also seems to be Apple's recommended intervention. I've never had any issues I'd consider severe though, so perhaps there are more significant issues I've yet to encounter.

And I wouldn't buy AppleCare, even if you believe that this generation of MBPs is abnormally problematic. In theory if there are serious problems with these (unanticipated by Apple) then AppleCare could be worth it, but in my experience if there are serious design flaws then you will get free service regardless. That is what happened to me a number of years ago (~2010) when my MBP had serious graphics issues. Apple replaced the mainboard for free even though I didn't have AppleCare. Maybe policies have changed, or that was a special exception, but I've never purchased AppleCare in my 15 years of Mac ownership and I've never had repairs that cost anything near what I'd have paid for AppleCare over all those years.

Sorry it's a joke, new MBP simply a poor design simple as that, we're right back to "your holding it wrong" :p Apple's level of customer care varies significantly, so you may get lucky or you might be stuck with an expensive repair, let alone the cost of downtime and the outright inconvenience. My own recommended intervention is to purchase a computer that's fit for purpose inclusive of a reliable keyboard, sans compressed air...

Agree don't purchase AppleCare, use a reputable credit card, no need to feed the beast any more than necessary, as it's already more than greedy enough. We as the consumer should be a clear sending a message to Apple that such glaring oversights are completely unacceptable, least we endure more, and more fool us for allowing that to happen...

Q-6

MikeThicke

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
It's not like mechanical keyboards don't get dust and gunk in them all the time that you need to clean out with air or whatever. The main difference is that you can't take the keys off of the new keyboards when something goes wrong.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It's not like mechanical keyboards don't get dust and gunk in them all the time that you need to clean out with air or whatever. The main difference is that you can't take the keys off of the new keyboards when something goes wrong.
I managed to pry a key off with a flexible plastic card when it wasn't clicking properly, cleaned underneath then popped it back on. Works fine now. Although it was certainly a lot harder than when I did it with my 2011 MBP, and I worry that it would be quite easy to break a little plastic tab on the key.

Queen6

macrumors G4

To be direct I've never had a problem with a keyboard in over 30 years. It's just ridiculous being a poor design nothing more, nothing less. Prior to the 2016 MBP there was little but praise for the MBP's keyboard. Just how many more posts of issues with the new MBP keyboard do we need...

Don't get me wrong keyboards can and do have issue, equally not so prevalent nor repeatedly after repair as is the case with the MBP. Same as the previous dGPU issues it needs to be clearly understood prior to purchase, especially for those where the price concerns.

Q-6

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

The issue is that 2015 and earlier MacBook pros keyboard did not need much maintenance in normal use. The only time I every cleaned mine was when a soda was spilled on it. Let it dry out, watched a youtube video, and started prying up keys. A little water and a q-tip was all that was needed. The unit is still working years later.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
I am currently using a 2017 MacBook Pro TB 13' 16GB 256 SSD only 16days old no issues yet. Bought as a refurb with $300 discount going to get care before 60days is up. bought a 2011 MacBook Pro 13' back in oct 2011 with apple care still going strong the only problem I had was with the macsafe fraying and was replace for free under AppleCare. I got the the 2017 MBP 13' because I am able to edit and playback 4k which I can't do on my 2011 MBP. The 2011 MBP is built like a tank for sure. The 2017 MBP is a beautiful machine, the keyboard took a little time to get use to but I like it the feel of it. Even though its much thinner than my 2011 MBP it's much more powerful speed etc. I do think though that apple should stand by there products like they did in the pass years seeing that there seems to be quite a good amount of people having keyboard issues with these 2016/2017 MBP especially the 2016 MBP, these thinks are not cheap by no means I also remember when I bought my 2011 MBP I had one year to buy AppleCare now its 60days. Seems like apple is charging more for their machines with less quality and give you less time to get AppleCare, these kind of practices make it seems like they are not confident in the quality of there products anymore. Look at the PC but I don't want to relive the days when I used PC machines, So obviously I bought another MBP. Hopefully apple will get there act together and go back to the days when they stood 100% behind their products, Tim do what is right by the consumer and take care of these people who are having problems with there 2016/2017 MBP and please!!!! go back to making quality products that last a long time these machines are not cheap!!!! Tim.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
Apple did no testing of the 2016/2017 keyboards.

Not because they can't afford it.

But because they're arrogant.

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Having taken off one of these keys myself, I'd really not recommend it. Both the switch mechanism and the key itself feel extremely flimsy and easy to break when you're prying and pulling at them in ways they weren't designed for.

I got lucky and removed and replaced the key without issue, but it was a bit nerve-wracking and if I had broken something, it would have no doubt been viewed (correctly) by Apple as physical damage caused by the user, and not covered under AppleCare.

Seriously, it's not worth it. If someone is going to break the keyboard trying to fix it, let it be someone who works for Apple, because then they'll be the ones who have to fix it.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.