Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
So I bought a monitor for use with my 2018 MacBook Pro TB. However, and I didn't know this when I bought(I mistook the power in for an audio jack), it does not have an audio jack. So I can't connect speakers to it and it doesn't have built in speakers. I've been looking for a usb to audio jack adapter on Amazon. They all say that are compatible with Mac/Windows. Will that work, because the adapter isn't plugged into a computer, its plugged into my monitor. I'd appreciate any help or recommendations on Amazon, Thanks!
btw the usb is 2.0 type A and there are two of those ports on the back of the monitor.

Last edited:

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
If you can use HDMI or DisplayPort those carry video and audio.
TB to HDMI or DisplayPort cable needed.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
If you can use HDMI or DisplayPort those carry video and audio.
TB to HDMI or DisplayPort cable needed.
According to the OP, his new monitor lacks any audio capability so this won't help.

@OP:
  • What computer are you using?
  • How is the USB2 hub in the monitor connected to the computer?
  • Does the computer have its own separate audio outputs?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you don't say how the monitor is connected to your mac

Your Mac should have an audio out, you can use that.

or you can get a USB to audio adapter, you might have to plug that into your Mac though, instead of the monitor
To test, plug any USB device (Thumb drive, Mouse, Keyboard) into your monitor and see if your Mac can see it.

If there's a USB type B (the square one) on the back of your monitor, you'll probably have to run a USB cable from the Mac to the monitor if you want to use the USB ports on the monitor. (should have come with a USB cable in the monitor box) (although it's probably not USB C so you'll need an adapter)

Depending on the inputs on your monitor, it might be "cleanest" to get a USB C dock, that will allow you to run one cable from the Mac to the dock, and then your monitor and speakers will connect to that. If you get a dock with power delivery, you can connect your power supply to the dock, and it's only 1 cable to your Mac.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
According to the OP, his new monitor lacks any audio capability so this won't help.

@OP:
  • What computer are you using?
  • How is the USB2 hub in the monitor connected to the computer?
  • Does the computer have its own separate audio outputs?
I am using a 13 inch 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.
The two usb 2.0 type A ports on the back of the monitor are not connected to anything right now.
The laptop has a 3.5mm audio jack. I am planning on buying some speakers for my desk setup.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Just get an audio interface, plug your speakers there and then plug it into your MBP.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
you don't say how the monitor is connected to your mac

Your Mac should have an audio out, you can use that.

or you can get a USB to audio adapter, you might have to plug that into your Mac though, instead of the monitor
To test, plug any USB device (Thumb drive, Mouse, Keyboard) into your monitor and see if your Mac can see it.

If there's a USB type B (the square one) on the back of your monitor, you'll probably have to run a USB cable from the Mac to the monitor if you want to use the USB ports on the monitor. (should have come with a USB cable in the monitor box) (although it's probably not USB C so you'll need an adapter)

Depending on the inputs on your monitor, it might be "cleanest" to get a USB C dock, that will allow you to run one cable from the Mac to the dock, and then your monitor and speakers will connect to that. If you get a dock with power delivery, you can connect your power supply to the dock, and it's only 1 cable to your Mac.
I have a type C Satechi dongle hooked up to my MBP. An hdmi to hdmi cable connects the dongle and monitor.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I have a type C Satechi dongle hooked up to my MBP. An hdmi to hdmi cable connects the dongle and monitor.
If the dongle is tunneling the audio to the HDMI then you're out of luck unless you to switch the MBP to send audio to another output. If the dongle has its own audio jack then that is where you would connect your speakers or headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.