Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I buy a Used or New MacBook Pro or Air for my use cases

• New 15 inch M3 MacBook Air

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New M3/ M3 Pro 14 inch MacBook Pro

• Used M Series Chips 14 inch/ 16 inch MacBook Pro

• Used Late gen Intel MacBook Pro (2019 or newer)

• Total voters

TechFann

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
I came here because I have a dilemma. So here it is: I have 2 older Windows PCs that are not supported by Microsoft officially to get the update to Windows 11 with the end of Windows 10 support in 2025. So I would need to buy a new PC and since everything else I have is Apple, I’ve decided to look at MacBooks.

I have an M1 iPad Air with a Magic Keyboard that I use for pretty much everything currently (browsing the web, media consumption, social media, reading, pdf creation and viewing, notes, word documents, and some light spreadsheet creation, etc).

I currently only use my PCs maybe a couple times a month. I really only need a computer type device going forward for data storage, tax season, and I need to use proprietary software to transfer software updates to an SD card for my car. I also have a multi port dongle that has a SD card slot on it.

So what should I do? I don’t feel I need a brand new MacBook Pro or Air considering my minimal use case. Should I buy like a 2018 or 2019 Intel MacBook Pro, a used M1 or M2 MacBook Air, an M1 MacBook Pro, etc? I can buy a new MacBook Air or Pro, but don’t really feel the need to spend that kind of money on a device I will rarely use. I also want to get something that will last maybe for 5 years or so at least? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
If you already have a MacBook Air, and it meets all your needs, why buy anything at all? I mean… what is your reason for needing a second one?

Reactions: Chuckeee

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If you already have a MacBook Air,
They have an iPAD air.

Any suggestions?
You can rule out an Intel Mac. There's no point in getting one for your needs, and it will become unsupported in a few years.

Your needs are light enough that an MBA will be more than sufficient. A Mac Book Pro would be excessive. 15" is also probably too big.

Newer is obviously better, in terms of length of life, battery, and you never quite know what people have done with/to their Mac...

Reactions: TechFann

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
I would agree that your needs are probably best served with a Macbook Air, and you might as well buy used. Screen size choice is up to you; if you're using it for taxes, you might want the larger screen.

I'd probably look for an M2 MBA simply for support longevity, even though an M1 would do the job for you.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
My thiinking would be, like:

If I'm not absolutely sure about making a big investment, I get a used mac, not the latest model so it'll be inexpensive. So maybe a used MBA M1, they're cheap these days, and you could sell it in a one or two years and get 80-90% of the money back.

If I'm really certain of one specific configuration of one specific model will be perfect for me, I buy new, it's safer, I get extra benefits, it will be supported for a long time. Its resale value will fall much over the years, but I don't care, I'm planning to keep it, right?

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
I know you are asking about buying a macbook, but did you know you can easily use Rufus to make a windows 11 usb installer that bypasses all requirements that keep you from upgrading your windows 10 pcs?

I did this on an asus transformer with an atom processor and it runs fine, as well as it did on win 10, gets all updates etc.

So if you only use your pc infrequently, you can save a lot of money just using Rufus to update to windows 11.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.