Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Hello everybody. Like many others here I've been waiting for a long time to buy the new rMBP's. Now that they just have been released, I'm seeking some advice on deciding which model to buy.

I'm wondering if I should buy the top end 13 inch rMBP, or if I should buy the base 15 inch model. Their prices are about the same.. I don't care about the screen size as that is a matter of taste, already having many topics about.
I want to know which Mac will be the fastest concerning speed? And will the difference be very noticeable? (little bit confused of the difference dual-core/quad-core or Haswell/Crystalwell)
And if the 15 inch would be faster, would it get a lot more hot when watching video's and stuff than on a 13 inch? Because that also is an important factor to me: battery, MacBook getting hot, and certainly the noise it makes.

Thanks in advance! :)

Top end model 13 inch:

2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Graphics

Base model 15 inch:

2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Last edited:

purplekush604

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
Hello everybody. Like many others here I've been waiting for a long time to buy the new rMBP's. Now that they just have been released, I'm seeking some advice on deciding which model to buy.

I'm wondering if I should buy the top end 13 inch rMBP, or if I should buy the base 15 inch model. Their prices are about the same.. I don't care about the screen size as that is a matter of taste, already having many topics about.
I want to know which Mac will be the fastest concerning speed? And will the difference be very noticeable? (little bit confused of the difference dual-core/quad-core or Haswell/Crystalwell)
And if the 15 inch would be faster, would it get a lot more hot when watching video's and stuff than on a 13 inch? Because that also is an important factor to me: battery, MacBook getting hot, and certainly the noise it makes.

Thanks in advance! :)

Top end model 13 inch:

2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Graphics

Base model 15 inch:

2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

I'm in the exact same dilemma as you, base 15 or maxed out 13 with 16gb of ram though

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
the fact that the new 15 inches don't get a discreet graphics card make me not want to get a new macbook . look at the XPS 15 from dell its qHD+ display is like 3300x1600 something crazy with a nvidea gtx 750m

Chrsanthny5

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
the fact that the new 15 inches don't get a discreet graphics card make me not want to get a new macbook . look at the XPS 15 from dell its qHD+ display is like 3300x1600 something crazy with a nvidea gtx 750m
Ew. Windows. Dell. Ew. :0

To OP: I was considering the same as you. I pulled the trigger on a 13 with i7/16GB. I think I made the right choice. I jus tm really needed an upgrade!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

The high end has one. :confused:

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
The high end has one. :confused:

even if i was rich i would cry myself to sleep at night knowing i spent $2600 on a laptop just to get a dedicated graphics card . thats a ****ing round trip to europe from the states and a good concert while I'm there maybe a cheap date too

kartnite

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, London, Chennai
I have a similar query. Now that the 15" cMBP is no longer available (that's what I was keen on before deciding to 'wait' for this keynote, sigh)...

I'm quite sure I will need a 15" machine (as opposed to 13", full spec'd or otherwise) *and* a quad-core processor. But I'm wondering if I will need a 16GB RAM.

RobobVT

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
VT,USA
So far I am impressed with the Intel Iris graphics, I couldn't afford a fully loaded 15" so I got the 13" top of the line so I wouldn't have to do a BTO and wait an extra 1-3 days :)

Some benchmarks have been posted here that the Iris Pro on the 15" is within 15% performance of the 750m anyway so I would suggest deciding based on form factor, if you will be carrying it around a lot the 13" is a little smaller while 15" is better for long periods of editing or movie watching

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
So far I am impressed with the Intel Iris graphics, I couldn't afford a fully loaded 15" so I got the 13" top of the line so I wouldn't have to do a BTO and wait an extra 1-3 days :)

Some benchmarks have been posted here that the Iris Pro on the 15" is within 15% performance of the 750m anyway so I would suggest deciding based on form factor, if you will be carrying it around a lot the 13" is a little smaller while 15" is better for long periods of editing or movie watching
Thanks, you convinced me! Just bought the top model of the 13 inch! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.